John Thomas / The Mad Hedgefund Trader

Just out of interest why do people like this guru so much? They seem a complete unknown outside of Freetrade (in fact this thread is the 3rd google result) yet here we have a thread with over 400 replies (even if a lot of them are just the same link). None of the other countless gurus get the same attention on these forums so I donā€™t really get it.

The 2nd result are these reviews, the comments donā€™t paint a great picture

https://www.stockgumshoe.com/reviews/mad-hedge-fund-trader/

So I guess Iā€™m curious whatā€™s with all the interest here?

5 Likes

I have only been following this thread for a few months, but these are my thoughts:

Positives:

1. It is daily and easy to read. No 30 min video to watch daily.
  2. We only look at the free things and also get access to some of his premium ā€œtrade alertsā€.
  3. A few of his broad suggestions have kind of worked or been broadly correct (he does use a bit of a scatter gun approach).
  4. As a comment mentioned, he commets on quite alot of things/sectors which can be useful.

Negatives / Discussion based on reviews on the link:

1. As per the review posts in the link you sent he boasts alot but actually recycles loads of posts (hence why we only use it for broad ideas)
  2. I have actually thought that it probably quite hard to get the spreads he gets and with commissions ad the rest, itā€™s improbable to get his returns (even if they are factually correct). And also, his bets seem reasonable, eg. a Microsoft Bull spread expiring in less than a months time, very in the moneyā€¦ I can definitely see how he can make a 10% return on that in under a month.

Overall, I have definitely learnt a couple of things from the trade alerts.
Definitely know more about options from looking at his alerts, from some background reading I have done and with some explaining from other users such as @J4ipod94 and @hrochfor1. Other users such as @101 also help with the collective understanding of the information and with constructive discussions. Thanks to all and to everyone involved in this thread :slight_smile:. That is another benefit, it leads to discussions in which we compare ideas (on this thread) and hopefully that is useful to everyone.

Some of the reviews in the link are spot on, but we do get it for free :smiley:. I donā€™t think it is worth the money.

12 Likes

Ok thanks for taking the time, Iā€™ve clicked a few of links out of curiosity in the past and I didnā€™t really feel like there was much actionable information in terms of trading, but was a nice summary of the relevant news for the day. I trade options fairly infrequently (<10 times a year) and relatively low value so maybe Iā€™m not the target audience, I also donā€™t believe in TA probably doesnā€™t help.

I agree though, you canā€™t argue with free, I guess Iā€™m just overly sceptical about people trying to sell this stuff.

2 Likes

You are welcome :smiley:.

Iā€™d say most people on this thread donā€™t do options :slight_smile:.
I have not followed any of his trade alerts, but I have taken the odd idea for buying stocks/ETFs.

During 2019 I found it hard to begin investing much purely down to high stock prices and much talk about hitting the 10 year bull run.

I only paid attention to John Thomas insights. Although I began buying gold during December 2019 on the basis of ā€˜being fearful when other are greedyā€™ā€¦

John Thomas then began talking in January about a 10% correction and then in early February he upped his insights pretty much saying go ALL cash and only hold gold.

He saved me from making a Ā£15k mistake, whilst all other news were pro-stocks and 2020 looks strong.

Itā€™s just good to get a slight insight in under 30 seconds on major relevant news.

1 Like

So basically he predicted a global pandemic

3 Likes

He started to see volatility and suggested his clients to build a gold hedge, then February he was pretty certain about a 10% correction.

Then the virus accelerated in China and he was convinced on a western correction and went all cash and only held some gold.

The virus crashed the China economy enough to make a pretty obvious approach that the west would see some falls. How far did it fall? Nobody knew, remember these traders see live inflows and outflows and have access to the environment. So when March 23rd approached, he then started buyingā€¦ (and thatā€™s exactly when Mark Cuban began buying).

I guess when youā€™ve been an investor/trader for 50+ years youā€™ve seen your fair share of falls.

If you look at the Mad Hedge 11 year return heā€™s certainly made some great predictions :sweat_smile:

I was pretty syked to have been all cash and only a gold hedge mid-March.

1 Like

Since the pandemic heā€™s advised to buy Copper, US homebuilders and US Banks all of which at this point have been right. I donā€™t see him as a single source of my information (and heā€™s not always right) but I like the opinion of someone that seems some what knowledgeable in the US markets.

I for one wonā€™t subscribe to his paid services nor will I probably pay for any such service from anyone else

1 Like

For me I use it for a macro perspective. Mainly because the daily insights are so short and digestible.

He likes to name drop a lot and itā€™s full of subtle bragsā€¦but itā€™s free.

Considering he timed the pandemic so well, I donā€™t think his gains this year are particularly impressive and I wouldnā€™t pay for a subscription.

All that said, heā€™s clearly very knowledgeable and comes across like an interesting & likeable bloke!

3 Likes

Subtle? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

8 Likes

Golden insights. Super relevant

https://www.madhedgefundtrader.com/hot-tips/

1 Like

Precious metals (miners) are looking okay here. DYOR

1 Like

Considering setting some limit loss orders

1 Like

Presentation, 25th of November:

Q&A:
https://www.madhedgefundtrader.com/november-25-biweekly-strategy-webinar-qa/

6 Likes

Well, looks like we are entering a small correctionā€¦ The stop losses came in handy!

Question is, when do we go back in? I am thinking end of the week?

2 Likes

ā€¦ spoke too soon :rofl:

2 Likes

imagen

1 Like

Is that a Buy alert on PFE? I am not very familiar with how to read the options interface

1 Like

It is a bullish/long position. He is probably expecting it to stay at that price or go up.

But it is not equivalent to buying the stock. The stock is at 38 USD now, with that option he will make profit even if it dips to 35 and stays there until the 15th of January, whilst with a stock you would lose money with that same variation.

I just post them to give indications of what he is doing, for interest. occasionally I get a good idea out of them :slight_smile:.

4 Likes

ā€lol buy Tesla on the next 30% dipā€ (not advice)

https://www.madhedgefundtrader.com/hot-tips/

1 Like