Abrdn - ABDN

A global investment giant. They offer long-term savings and investment products to commercial and individual customers in Europe and Asia.

1 Like

I hope Aberdeenā€™s new name, an anagram of brand, the devowelled ABRDN, doesnā€™t become ā€˜a burdenā€™ for them.

4 Likes

@BobbyH :rofl:

1 Like

I canā€™t believe so many got worked up in the news about the branding as it seems to have done the exact job it was intended to do :joy: :+1:

The AGM took place today. From what I saw abrdn got a mandate to buy ii.

Do you think ii will be a positive move/investment for abrdn?

1 Like

Interesting moveā€¦

https://news.sky.com/story/abrdn-in-1-5bn-talks-to-buy-diy-stock-picker-interactive-investor-12461582

3 Likes

Deepest apologies, I didnā€™t scour every other thread (Iā€™ve now found one reference in a general ā€˜Competitorsā€™ discussion 2 hrs ago), and it didnā€™t throw up any results on the search function, including that Iā€™ve just mentioned.

Back to the shadows for me to mind my own business :worried:ā€¦

1 Like

Donā€™t worry mate. Donā€™t take the comment too seriously, I think it was just banter. :wink:
Interesting new topics are always welcome.

1 Like

Cheers buddy. I presumed it was but decided to jump into ā€˜Iā€™m offendedā€™ mode on the off chance it wasnā€™t :thinking:. Got me wading back through all of todayā€™s threads though :face_with_monocle: !!

Back on topic, could be a positive for Freetrade. Integrating into a large legacy business is rarely easy, cheap or to the benefit of the existing customer base, who may seek a new home. Spending many millions on a widely ridiculed rebrand hasnā€™t exactly helped to reenergise the Abrdn/SL share priceā€¦

5 Likes

Could also be bad as II is far too complex a structure to use for many. If ABrdn simplify it they may actually gain a lot more customers as they offer a good range.

1 Like

Some good detail on the deal here: Proposed acquisition of interactive investor | abrdn

The vote has gone out. Will it be a good move for this company to buy it?

Ā£55 billion AUA. Its customer profile is very different from Freetrades.

$ABDN expected to be relegated out of FTSE100

At the time of the merger their combined market value was more than Ā£11bn but that has since fallen to Ā£3.2bn while the company has faced persistent investor outflows and struggled to integrate its back-end systems for years after the deal.

I think retail investors, of the type that use Freetrade as a broker etc, should take note of the following comment:

ā€œMany active fund managers make a good living attempting to pre-empt index announcements, and by the time you have heard about the potential deletion or inclusion it will likely be too late to take advantage of the news,ā€ he said.

2 Likes

Article in the telegraph today is scathing of the management performance and potential solutions are to break up the group or sell as a whole.

Not good news for the shares that they are being heavily shorted

1 Like

Adverse market and client defections hammer Abrdn

2 Likes

Dividend arrived today, on time.

1 Like