Advanced Micro Devices šŸ’» - AMD

Great to see AMD hit itā€™s all time high todayā€¦ :slight_smile: Albeit for about 30 seconds! Not sure where itā€™ll go after earnings report tomorrow.

Holding regardless.

2 Likes

3Q earnings looking good last night:

If trends persist then Enterprise should overtake Consumer in 2022, if Genoa has a good launch then I think this very likely.

Here are the raises Iā€™ve seen so far:

$113 from $90 at Deutsche Bank
$115 from $105 at UBS
$120 from $110 at BMO Capital
$125 from $100 at Citi
$128 from $102 at Truist
$130 from $110 Bernstein
$135 from $105 JP Morgan
$135 from $110 at Mizuho
$135 from $120 at Barclays
$140 from $110 at Raymond James
$140 from $110 at CFRA
$140 from $120 at Piper Sandler
$145 from $110 at Benchmark
$145 from $120 at Cowen
$145 from $120 at Wells Fargo
$145 from $127 at Jeffries
$145 from $130 at Susquehanna
$150 from $135 at BoA
$180 from $150 at Rosenblatt

3 Likes

Great news and well deserved price upgrades.

lā€™ve aleady set cash aside to buy more AMD. Itā€™s my current 4th largest single stock holding and I aim to make it my 1st.

1 Like
2 Likes

Me watching the Share Price :rofl:

pop-corn-eating

4 Likes

I wasnā€™t quite expecting this level of adoption in their data centre chips
FB MSFT etc all want to go with AMD. This is bad news for Intel

All those price targets have just been blown

2 Likes

Google went in big on AMD as well, itā€™s funny I wrote post the other day about how FB was the biggest example of an Intel customer/least reliant on TSMC - that didnā€™t age well.

To be honest I donā€™t think thereā€™s much of a surprise on that front. Iā€™m more interested with what happens on the GPU side - weā€™ll have to see what Nvidia announces tomorrow, but itā€™s going to have to be big to compete with the MI250 (if AMDā€™s benchmarks are to be believed).

This meme is 3 years old, perhaps it will finally have its day in the sun.

3 Likes

No. The meme doesnā€™t get Nvidia.

Nvidia GPUā€™s are in no small part about AI.

Ultimately, Hardware mens nothing if the software is not there. And that my friend is the sauce.

1 Like

I assume you mean he gap between CUDA and ROCm, which I agree is still a long way behind, but I think itā€™s becoming much less of an issue now.

I know a few years ago working without CUDA was a big pain, I bought an Nvidia card largely for that reason. If you were making the same decision now is it such a big deal? Letā€™s be honest you are mostly going to be using TF or PyTorch now anyway.

Yes. As far as optimisation and speed are concerned both TF and PyTorch need Nvidia. No change today. Sure you can use those without Nvdia CUDA, but it is not for no reason that both of them provide CUDA specific options. (Less of an issue? Donā€™t think so!)

2 Likes

Interesting, people kept saying it was better now vs like 5 years ago when it was almost impossible to use without CUDA so Iā€™m surprised itā€™s got even worse, although admittedly Iā€™m a bit out of the loop (as Itā€™s not something I have to worry about now) so willing to admit Iā€™m perhaps not the best source.

Out of interest (because you seem much closer to this) how many years do you think it will take for the CUDA gap to be bridged? I think since the success of Rosetta Iā€™ve just been overly optimistic about translation with things like ROCm, but maybe thatā€™s misplaced.

1 Like

Iā€™m still finding my feet as an investor in this market.

The AMD vs Intel wars have literally been going on for two decades now; whenever the point of no return seems to have been reached over that two decade period, Intel manage to claw it back enough that it can credibly be said that AMD - the company, let alone its fans - have a blindspot where Intelā€™s successes are concerned. Worth noting that there was literally a 19 year period between 2000 and 2019 where neither company had recovered to its .com bubble price. Admittedly had I made the above observation 30 days ago dampening the enthusiasm about AMD it would not have aged well. What I will say is that if youā€™re planning on betting against AMD in the long term future of this race, investing in Intel now for 3-5 years would seem a way to go.

The GPU wars I understand less well as a consumer or in terms of this historic race between AMD and Nvidia. But aside from that battle, what I have difficulty understanding as an investor is whether being involved in both fronts will be a help or a hinderance.

3 Likes

As someone working with/in deep learning, Iā€™ve never seen anyone use anything but Cuda and actually not heard of alternatives until today.
So, at least for now Iā€™d say Nvidia is still the darling of the ML community.

Pytorch and Nvidia are also working together on features and Pytorch will win out over TF for sure and be the most dominant DL framework in the near future.

2 Likes

I really donā€™t know how long it will take them. I like you assumed it would be sooner.

But I donā€™t think about these things ā€¦ we use ā€œthe cloudā€ for serious GPU use and so long as we have the official TF releases for the relevant CUDA architecture ā€¦ that is all that matters.

1 Like

Holy war.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been investing in AMD for the past few months and its done v nicely for me.

My take is that the CPU - GPU wars predictions arenā€™t the issue here. Its management. Lisa Su deserves credit for turning the company around and all her efforts are paying off. Intel took its cue off the ball - that was a mgmt error not a technology issue. Iā€™m holding AMD because of her, not the tech cycle.

4 Likes

Yes - my comments above to do with GPU were not about and not meant to imply anything about the AMD share price. The point was that AMD GPUā€™s have very little bearing (at least for now) on Nvidia.

Barclays shaft AMD with a nonsense report and crash its share price

do they even know what they are talking about

1 Like

If it goes sub $100 Iā€™ll be topping up, then Iā€™ll thank Barclays :rofl:

1 Like

Iā€™d say Noā€¦