Alphabet - GOOG - Share Chat

The end is near folks!

1 Like

Buy the dip this week

1 Like

Frighteningly dependent on google aren’t we :man_facepalming:t2:

2 Likes

Google and AWS. So much hinges on those systems.

When you use SSO everything, it’s not just google that down

1 Like

Cloudflare as well…

Yeah maybe the problem is Google OAuth because some Google things still work (ish) if you’re anon

Although this outage forced me to use offline YouTube / music for the first time in about 9 months I would welcome a dip so I can buy a bit more.

I’ve been increasingly bullish as Alphabet show their ability to dominate every sector of ML but keep putting off buying as the price is so high. Here’s a couple interesting articles I read recently:

1 Like

Google mobile app has launched AR trial installation for the us region, allowing users to try out various cosmetic effects virtually.The feature is currently available only for L 'Oreal and MAC, and will only be available on mobile apps for the time being.

Earnings call ongoing, decent questions so far - obviously a big focus on cloud.

1 Like

+1 :fist:

also this PDF

this startup’s revenue is growing at 23%

$$137 billion of powder (:dollar: )

1 Like

This startup called Youtube should IPO

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/youtube-is-a-powerhouse-for-google-with-revenue-up-46-25-to-almost-247-billion/ar-BB1dlFlH

It’s because of people learning about trading stonks :ramen:

2 Likes

Here’s an interesting piece from Waymo looking at how the Waymo Driver would handle scenarios from fatal accidents that occurred within the operational area. I’m not at all surprised that it prevented collision as the crash initiator (that’s to be expected), but the fact that it did so well as the responding vehicle shows it’s a very capable defensive driver.

From the paper:

The results of these simulations showed that the Waymo Driver was successful in avoiding all collisions when replacing the crash initiator, that is, the road user who made the initial, unexpected maneuver leading to a collision. Replacing the driver reacting (the responder) to the actions of the crash initiator with the Waymo Driver resulted in an estimated 82% of simulations where a collision was prevented and an additional 10% of simulations where the collision severity was mitigated (reduction in crash-level serious injury risk). The remaining 8% of simulations with the Waymo Driver in the responder role had a similar outcome to the original collision.

I’m excited to see how the SF rollout goes, I think the big question to be answered is on scalability & expanding the geofenced areas so that will be a good test.

Sigh of relief for common sense here. Cloning APIs is fair use. Supreme Court rules for Google in the Oracle-Java-Android case.

2 Likes

part of me thinks that Oracle really does enjoy being hated :smiley:
as you say, good news for common sense.

Interesting story… buy a country’s google domain name!

By Mr Kuroña (corona)

1 Like

Earnings beat. Up 4% after hours. Increasing stock buyback.

1 Like

I was listening to the AMD call, so I missed this as it’s not in the PDF.

Wow no kidding

a new $50 billion stock buyback

They are a real cash machine, from distributing almost nothing up to 2017 they are now paying out a huge amount to shareholders.

Year Buybacks ($bn) Total Yield (approx)
2021 50 3.23%
2020 31.15 2.83%
2019 18.40 2.30%
2018 9.08 1.21%
3 Likes

Class C capital stock is the buyback; Alphabet Inc. Class C Capital Stock (GOOG) ticker not on FT

How come alphabet price on FT is different to yahoo finance etc?