Forum AMA with Nick Fell, Freetrade VP of Marketing, Fri 29th Oct, 1 PM

Hi everyone :wave:

The eagle-eyed among you may have spotted a new member of the Freetrade Marketing team recently.

We wanted to take the opportunity to introduce you properly to @nickfell, who joined Freetrade as VP of Marketing last month:

Nick has a wealth of experience both here in the UK and from Silicon Valley. His mission is to continue to grow Freetrade in the UK and beyond, and ultimately build Freetrade into an iconic global brand.

Drop your questions about Freetradeā€™s marketing in the comments below and Nick will answer them from 1 PM on Friday 29th October :point_down:

25 Likes

Welcome Nick,

Howā€™s the marketing campaign prep going for the crowdfunding happening later this year? :innocent:

9 Likes

Coca Cola was the first soft drink consumed in space. Pizza Hut also did a sponsorship deal that saw their pizza consumed on the International Space Station.

The first stock trade in space took place onboard ESAā€™s OPS-SAT Space Lab on 30 September 2021. - source

So how about the first cow in space and first cow to do a stock trade in space? Call me Nick, call me.
:rocket: :cow:

I donā€™t envy your job to build on the already amazing marketing campaigns that have led the way so far, including YouTuber and celebrity tie ins. I canā€™t wait to see what you and your team come up with, best of luck!

9 Likes

Great to see you doing one of these Nick.

Q. Whatā€™s your expectations over marketing for European and worldwide expansion? Nothing for a while after launch in each European country or like a bat out of hell as soon as the starting gun is fired?

7 Likes

And when is EU and worldwide launch :joy:

5 Likes

Is crowdfunding still part of the marketing strategy?

2 Likes

Spicy doritos or regular?

3 Likes

whats the CAC for a new client? And what is the expected LTV? Thanks

2 Likes

Will the next crowdfunding be the final one?

2 Likes

What was the most ā€˜Silicon Valleyā€™ experience you had?

3 Likes

Looking forward to this chat. Thanks for doing it.

1. Whatā€™s your best performing channel outside of paid referrals?
  2. CAC trends across channels?
  3. What do you want to do with the Freetrade brand short term and long term? Whatā€™s the message you want to get across?
  4. How do you want to position Freetrade vs the low/zero cost peer group?
12 Likes

What are your internal user number projections for end of 2021 and 2022 and please outline several methods you are currently using and/or will use in future to grow user numbers in the UK

1 Like

You mentioned in your first post that the community was major factor in your decision to join Freetrade.

In recent times the community has become more frustrated by a perceived lack of progress on key targets (EU stocks, expansion, new features) and a drop in communication/engagement from the team.

Is the community still a key marketing tool for the company, or now there is over 1.1M users, has it served its purpose?

(Got to throw in some more difficult questions :wink:)

26 Likes

Hi @nickfell ! Nice to have you in here!
Can you give us a real expected timeline for EU expansion? Any European launch on 2021? Which is the strategy you think for EU launch? An aggresive one on media or mouth spreading?

2 Likes
  • Who do you think are the main FT competitors ? Both in the UK and European markets. How are you going to compete against them ?
  • How can you grow and maintain revenues when there will be many personal finance application offering similiar stock trading functionality ? (see Revolut, Plum, Emma, etcā€¦)
  • How do you view the competition against the ā€œsuper-appsā€ like Revolut (and maybe in the near future Paypal, Cash App), that seem to offer a one-stop shop for all finacial needs, including stock trading.
  • When do you see Freetrade releasing Crypro trading and will it be custodial or non-custodial ? What fees are you going to charge ?
3 Likes

Welcome aboard @nickfell!

An article this week described the Irish launch as occurring in 2022, with Sweden before that. Can you tell us about the timeframe for these rollouts?

Most appreciated.

9 Likes

Welcome @nickfell - congratulations on joining ft and thanks for opening up for the ama.

A couple from meā€¦

Interested to hear your view as a marketer - when you look at what you have to work with in terms of the product and brand already established - what has you most excited about what you have to work with?

Is it fair to assume thay your arrival signals a step change in terms of the range/scale of marketing activities? If so, can you give us a flavour of activity we might expect to see?

All the best. Thanks!

9 Likes

Make me rich, Nick.
That is all. Cheers

5 Likes

Hi Nick, welcome.

How will you differentiate yourselves from other low cost brokers in order to be grabbing the largest percentage of the potential market?

Freetrade and others have done well to provide a low cost alternative to traditional brokers, but now it is becoming the norm with there being many low cost options and more of them launching.

I have noticed that Freetrade focus very specifically on making investing very easy for first time investors who have no idea what theyā€™re doing and this allows Freetrade to not just take a slice of the market, but to grow the size of the market. I think this is an area where you are differentiating well and the marketing + platform are probably better at drawing in new users Vs competitors.

3 Likes