App no longer getting any improvements?

It depends on how you define 1st time vs ā€˜intermediateā€™ investor.
Is someone who has been investing for years but sticks all their money into the All World ETF an intermediate investor?
If so, why would they need any new feature right now if all they do is ā€˜invest and forgetā€™?

Of course this is where the demographic is important and only FT themselves can answer this: Who is their customer, someone who invests once every few months or someone who invests several times a week?

Donā€™t get me wrong, a frequently updated product can only be a good thing thatā€™s for sure.

3 Likes

Agreed. What constitutes a beginner investor or an intermediate (or higher) invested is subjective.

Iā€™m someone who started in 2016 using EQi back in the day. In my eyes Iā€™m an intermediate investor.

I suppose I come from the premise as does those on the investment discord that more option and availability is a good thing.

Example could be for every one stock or ETF I hold there are thousands I donā€™t. But itā€™s nice to have the freedom and the option.

Example, do I want to buy $GME? No because I see it as something thatā€™s been overhyped, but itā€™s nice the option at least exists.

Or put another way using a non investment example.

With a Romanian passport as well as a British one I can visit Poland without the need for a visa or ETIAS. Do I want to do that tomorrow, probably not but itā€™s nice to know the option is available if I want a weekend break in Krakow in the next few years.

This ā€œitā€™s nice to know you have the optionā€ mindset is a key theme in my thinking

2 Likes

Of course everything to offer is already known and I never suggested FT would invent anything new but competitors WILL care and want to know what is the next that FT will offer. This is why I said ā€œmay just beat them to itā€ as they could equally offer the same thing.

It is a cheap budget platform so wont compete for the functions of the expensive platforms as these things cost money to run/implement but the cheap platforms are in massive competition of what they can get away with offering so cheap.

This, 100%, direct competitors would love to know what their rivals are planning same as FT would 100% want to know what Lightyear, Etoro etc have planned for the next additions.

Currently, the top voted features are:

Auto Pilot (Auto investing) (Jun 2018)
After hours trading (Nov 2018)
Annual tax certification (Dec 2019)
Nationality declaration (Apr 2019)
Price alerts (Sep 2018)
Dividend indicator (Sep 2018)
JISA (May 2018)
LISA (Jun 2018)
Watchlist Sorting (Mar 2020)

Iā€™ve also noted the date of post/feature request.

11 Likes

Agreed. I am a complete newb to trading (Nov 2021) and began using Freetrade. At the same time I opened accounts with eToro and Degiro to experience their features.

Freetrade is by far the most flexible for the stage that I am at - learning who, how, when and what to invest in, with small sums of capital investment possible through fractional shares. However it is easy to see the benefits of the other platforms and I regularly flip between applications in order to use other features not available on Freetrade.

As a newb my biggest frustrations with the FT app are:
Delayed pricing
No idea about spread
No links to ex-dividend dates (I use Yahoo for this)
Plus logo covering pertinent information
When changing the timescale for ā€˜your investmentā€™ the profit/loss sum remains all-time rather than matching the selected timescales as it does with each share chart.

I am still using FT as my main app despite these frustrations, partially because I am paying for an ISA but also the flexibility of fractional shares. The user interface is great too (especially for a newb) and I can see how adding too many features could interfere with this.

5 Likes

@orbitalinvestor If are using some third party source of ā€œpriceā€ and comparing it with what you see or get on Freetrade you are working under a misunderstanding. There is no ā€œDelayed pricingā€. The price you see is not guaranteed price, it is something that you should consider as indicative: the actual price you pay is the price that can be obtained for the number of shares you wish to buy and/or sell at the time of execution not at the time you see a price. This is what is known as an instant order. A related type of order for an order asked outside trading hours is called a basic order: here orders are queued up and executed the following day at a specific time. Two other types of order exist: if you want to sell and/or buy at a specific price you need to stipulate a limit or a trigger. The latter is part of Freetradeā€™s plus service.

To reiterate: when you go to buy or sell shares it may be the case that nobody wants to sell or buy X shares so it may be the case that even if you ask to sell at Y pence it might not happen because nobody is willing to buy/sell at that price.

All other platforms that I am aware of also differentiate between these order types (if indeed they give you the option at all).

7 Likes

Thank you for your helpful reply @bitflip

I use third party price comparisons whenever I get a warning from the FT app that I am purchasing at a price that has not been updated for some time, just to check that I am not paying well over-the-odds!

I have a plus account and have so far only used Market and Limit orders.

I really want separate tabs for sorting my stocks into lists.

ETFā€™s,
Dividends,
Penny stocks,
Growth,
Etc.

Iā€™d also like to get a notification at the end of the day of my 5 biggest movers up and down.

8 Likes

One thing that might put some healthy competitive pressure on freetrade is the fact that Trading 212 is opening up to new customers in early January.

Iā€™d expect that if they follow through, we should hear of new sign ups by the 15th at the latest.

2 Likes

I really hope that Trading 212 donā€™t get LISAs before Freetrade because Iā€™ll be moving my LISA away from AJ Hell as soon as possible and if that means to Trading 212 instead of Freetrade then thatā€™s what Iā€™ll have to doā€¦ and that would really suck because I like Freetrade.

13 Likes

Iā€™m a real newbie to buying shares, less than one week. Like many people Iā€™m frustrated with the low bank saving rates and decided to try and do better. I found the app by accident and it has converted me to investing. The fact itā€™s free to start and simple to use has been very important. Iā€™ve thought about share investing before but the cost to trade is immediately off putting. This community is also great Iā€™m learning lots of things. I shown the app to two other people and I think they will also try it. So Iā€™m trying to illustrate this is a good product meeting its objectives to attract new people into investing.

I would ask that developements keep the simplicity of use. Please donā€™t fill it with complex acronyms to scare us newbies off. I see the ability to choose from more companies is good and some easier searching tools and ability to order based around price/changes would be an advantage.

Of course FT hopes I will convert to Plus. It looks a good deal as I see that if I leave Ā£4k in cash at 3% interest and take an ISA makes Plus close to being free. A bit more experience and I might do this in April when the ISA year starts as Ive locked this year in a cash ISA.

I just ask please grow the app carefully to retain itā€™s simple use.

20 Likes

Hi @Chris5 welcome welcome welcome :ocean:

Thank you for you post and point of view, itā€™s one that doesnā€™t get enough airtime.

The community thrives on a range of voices from established investors to brand new saplings.

Keep sharing your experiences and remember there isnā€™t a silly question so ask away and before long youā€™ll be answering people!

8 Likes

This is the same reason Iā€™m not crypto positive.

Up until now Freetrade appears to have prided itself in being beginner freindly amongst other things.

I feel that a new investor could easily loose money on crypto and this could put someone off who otherwise would grow as an investor with freetrade.

I seriously think freetrade has to choose a side.

Stick to your ethos of being user friendly to someone who started investing yesterday (while also having functionality that would appeal to intermediate+ investors) or go the crypto route.

I really donā€™t feel you can do both.

5 Likes

Whatever oneā€™s opinions about Crypto it is difficult to argue or imply that Crypto is not beginner friendly. The plethora of investors and in particular young investors, or people whose whole introduction to investing is Crypto, shows us that the reality is different.

4 Likes

True but the ratio of people who will now lose money through Freetrade will rocket when they introduce crypto. Personally, I would probably buy it but it would be crazy for us not to accept that it would bring a lot more complaints in the future when people lose their savings.

As I mentioned earlier it is clear as day about 20% of Etoro ratings are related to this kind of thing and FT would instantly inherit a similar amount. (Etoro currently get about 20% more 1 star than FT)

Iā€™d say it is popular with the kids rather than it being beginner friendly which is quite different.

4 Likes

We are all kids @Big-g :kick_scooter: or even a EV one :motor_scooter: lol.

Yours is a reasonable point of view. Nevertheless, seriously I am always amazed by the number of people that I meet that donā€™t invest in shares of any kind but invest in Crypto.

(Technically, the people I mentioned ā€˜that donā€™t invest in sharesā€™ do invest in shares but basically via their monthly pension deduction so are not ā€˜activelyā€™ involved)

1 Like

Hi @Chris5. Iā€™m a newb too and liked the simplicity. You make a really valid point and it gave me an idea. How about having both an advanced and simple user interface which can be switched in the settings tab of the app. This then offers the best of both worlds, the simplicity that drew us both here in the first place and the ability to advance our trading as we learn more and become more sophisticated (profitable?) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I find this whole ā€œpeople will lose money if Freetrade offers cryptoā€ thing really patronising and condescending. Iā€™ll have you all know that Iā€™ve been perfectly capable of losing money just through my normal process of picking doomed stocks. I donā€™t need access to crypto to do thatā€¦ also my crypto (just ETH) in Coinbase is actually up!

13 Likes

My issue with Crypto on Freetrade is they havenā€™t finished the standard stockbroker features yet. Iā€™ve no objection to having crypto, but I think getting the core stock trading features in is more important

16 Likes

They have a challenge to meet the needs of real beginners and yet keep us satisfied as our knowledge grows. Then they must keep the longer term investors, who will probably have more invested, happy to create FTs regular games ncone. To do this they will need to have a least subareas to meet the requirement of the experienced amongst us. I think that is how Plus is being developed. You can start for free with a small number of tools but if you become serious (and Iā€™m sure many people will open a basic account and after realising you need to be careful and develop your knowledge decide not to bother) you need Plus because it opens up a larger set of tools and information. I havenā€™t jumped to Plus or even an ISA yet, but I can see it will be needed later.

5 Likes