Apple - AAPL - Share Chat

I think the surprise could be which Mac line is revved first with Apple Silicon. The convention was that it could be the entry level, even a new 12 inch MacBook would be the first to get it - but it look like they are going straight in with the MacBook Pro

1 Like

It might be the new iMac 24" with bezel edges like an iPad Pro. Yes they have announced Apple Silicon chips but you havenā€™t seen how efficient they are compared to Intel - it will be a game changer as well as they are building their own GFX and if I am not mistaken Apple Silicon CPUs will allow iPhone/iPad apps on the Mac so build once to accomodate all devicesā€¦ So Freetrade app on desktop?? LOL

1 Like

Iā€™d like that desktop app.

1 Like

Any final predictions before #AppleEvent tonight?

1 Like

I hope itā€™s not just an event about Apple silicon and some new Macbooks with new processors.

That said, the rumours about Airtags and Airpods Studio headphones arenā€™t that exciting to me either. Whoā€™s losing their things so often that they have to stick a bluetooth tracking device on them!?

AR is Appleā€™s future, do you agree?

1 Like

:rofl: :joy: Love it! A great example of a first world problem. Mind you the cost of some of these devices completely justifies it though! :+1:

1 Like

Unless they plan another event before end of year I expect itā€™s apple silicone, but it would be nice to see more than one thing.

If it is Apple MacBooks I do hope it includes a design update

1 Like

I could see it but the hype for one pair of headphonesā€¦ I donā€™t know. I feel like theyā€™d wait for an ā€˜audio eventā€™ to show off a few of their new audio products at once AirPods and ā€˜studio podsā€™??

1 Like

GAGH THEYā€™VE TAKEN UPGRADEABLE MEMORY AWAY FROM THE MAC MINI AGAIN!!!

8GB as standard, 16GB available for Ā£200 on top of the Ā£699 base model.

1 Like

Oh my Apple that is the one thing you do not take away from users with a Mac Mini!! and 16GB is tops? a bit of a joke

1 Like

I guess itā€™s possible that these new ARM system-on-a-chips with ā€˜unified memoryā€™ will outperform everything else by miles and (somehow?!) not need as much RAM but itā€™s still extremely lousy. It makes you wonder how future proof these will be.

Instead of switching to MacOS as Iā€™d planned, Iā€™m now considering picking up an Intel based iMac on the cheap and just running WIndows on it (the OS I use now) because it looks nicer than a PC and Iā€™m in need of an upgrade.

Iā€™m interested to see what this will do to Appleā€™s share price and Intels, I think the latter are taking a real kicking from AMD too.

Itā€™s all about marketing and controlling their tech bit by bit each year as they are already 3 or 4 years ahead in their RnD with what an iPhone/Mac should look like and what tech should be in each one per year roadmap.

The mac mini 2018 could go up to 64GB RAM but nope 2020 has been a crap year so lets release a small taster before next year when iā€™m sure there will be some redesigns and more stuff to put inside etc

My guess, the same reason that iPhones dont need 8GB of ram but Android does. the OS just manages the memory far better than the competitionā€¦

As for options, they did say this was their first in a family of chips with the M1 being designed for low power small lightweight systems.

Then surely they would have pulled the mac mini with 64bg of ram?

Vertical integration will have a great impact on the bottom line.

The news is huge. Letā€™s wait for the first reviews.

Also interesting to see how all the non Xcode dev tools operate on arm

1 Like

One thing is for sure, their margins will increase further after their last 2 events. No charger will save on costs and shipping and in-house chips will streamline their production and firther save cost and efficiency.

Tim Cook might be a bean counter, but he is damn good at what he does. As an Apple user there is always something to be desired, but as a shareholder I am extremely happy with the work heā€™s done. Itā€™s one of my positions I have no intention of selling anytime soon.

I expect them to unify the software between the Iphone, Ipad and Macbook within the medium-term future and increase the margins even further, essentially capturing an even bigger % market share and increase their leverage on developers even more.

Being able to develop apps that will be accessible all across the Iphone, Ipad and Macbook at the same time could be huge and Apple will surely get a nice piece of that pie. I expect the most growth in the future to come there and I think thatā€™s what they are aiming for.

1 Like

Itā€™s still TSMC doing the fab, Iā€™m sure ARM chips are way cheaper and the in house design has advantages but I doubt it changes much from a logistics perspective.

Also while I realise that the memory and storage options are primarily for price differentiation and not grounded in the actual value of that silicon, that doesnā€™t stop it being a joke. Ā£200 for a 8GB of RAM (~Ā£50?) and another Ā£400+ for 1TB of NAND (Ā£250 max) - assuming they are premium

Oh my this M1 chip in the Macbook Air is faster in single-core than any other Mac and in Multi-core performance beats all 2019 16inch Macbook pro models. Like WTF!!

Source from online

1 Like

I canā€™t wait to see the future of these chips, itā€™s going to be amazing.