Ask your beginners questions here šŸ£

Hehe, yeah, it very occasionally works!

1 Like

I have a simple tax question for anyone.

Capital gains taxā€¦ This is something that we must declareā€¦ If over your threshold, and freetrade does not get involved in this, is that right?

Is any tax taken from you at point of sale of a share? Does this differ if shares are in an isa or a GIA?

1 Like

This is a good read worth having here for all investors not just the very Soviet sounding @Investor11

4 Likes

Thank you @NeilB. CGT must be declared though? No tax is taken by FT for this? Dividend tax is taken at source though I can see. In an isa that is

1 Like

There is no CGT for dealing in a SIPP or ISA. Nothing to be declared or reported by you.
GIA - FT does not deduct Capital gains. In a sense it canā€™t because it doesnā€™t know all your relevant details. So you have to declare and pay see:

Note that CGT calculations are made after a sell i.e. increase or decrease in the value of a share is not equal to a gain or loss for tax purposes. Only sales crystallise a taxable gain or loss.

For shares bought and sold on non UK exchanges: where Freetrade is legally obliged to deduct withholding tax at source it will do so [this includes in an ISA**] - most often this relates to dividends. But I am not an expert on different country rules on withholding taxes. Often you can claim back that money from the relevant government.

** and may include in a Pension. For Pension: It is complicated and relates to the tax treaties in force as well as how easy or difficult it is for Freetrade to claim back money.

2 Likes

So another noob question but how do buybacks work?

How are we notified and how do we physically sell them back to the company?

1 Like

Share buyback is the re-acquisition by a company of its own shares. Its sort of a way to reward its investors as you will effectively own more of the company.

@Peter1 buybacks: you personally donā€™t do anything. The share issuer buys available shares on the open market. Whatever holding you have remains as is, all your shares still belong to you. Usually when a company buys back its own shares it cancels them. So the buyback of shares on the open market increases the % of the company you own ā€¦ which in turn means that the price of your share on the stock exchange should increase.

However, a buyback doesnā€™t necessarily increase the price that your share can be bought or sold for because all the usual factors that go into determining share price still remain.

2 Likes

I enjoyed this weekend read by @DanLane from a while ago on the topic of share buybacks

1 Like

Not all YouTube channels are completely useless when it comes to investments. Some of them are doing a great job sharing good knowledge. I really like Brianā€™s channel and I think this video is valuable for beginners.

I just think lesson 10 should be - broaden your knowledge.

4 Likes

Beginner question,why when I buy a share at Ā£1.96 does it change me Ā£1.98 ?

Stamp duty?

I understand there is a time delay with the pricing, it can mean the price has changed slightly when your order goes through.

What I have learnt so far:

Even if the price is accurate, it only shows you the latest price that the shares recently sold for, not necessarily the price you will pay. If you place an order in the first 30 minutes or so of the market opening, you may notice larger differences between what you pay because the markets are very volatile at the beginning or end of trading.

Also, at Ā£1.96 you may be trading a more volatile stock, meaning that it will have large price swings multiple times throughout the day. This may also make it harder to sell as it may have lower trading volumes (you need there to be a buyer in order to sell your shares).

Also be aware of bid/ask spread. With shares that trade at lower volumes what you sell for can be considerably lower than what you bought for. Websites like https://uk.finance.yahoo.com are handy for checking the spread. You always buy for the higher price (ask) and sell for the lower price (bid).

2 Likes

Thank you for that information

Hi, has anyone got any information on Tungsten West ?

Looks like an interesting company. It owns Europeā€™s only tungsten mine and this is the worlds 4th largest deposit.

Made big but expected losses this year.

Google news is really useful for getting the latest company news, good and bad!

2 Likes

Hi all,

I am fairly new to freetrade and investing in general.

I currently hold a GIA and ISA account with freetrade.

I hold apple in each of these accounts.

I had a dividend payment come into my ISA account last night however nothing has been received for the shares held in the GIA account.

Is this something that is normal or should i expect a payment into each account ?

Thanks for any advice given in advance.

1 Like

Why donā€™t you put everything into the ISA if youā€™re paying for it? Have you filled your 20k allowance?

2 Likes

The dividend process is something the team are planning to improve, itā€™s a bit patchy at the moment. I havenā€™t had my dividend in my ISA yet.

1 Like