Ask your beginners questions here 🐣

Take a look at r/UKPersonalFinance’s flowchart:

(Alexander) #200

What would happen to my shares if freetrade stopped trading ? Also how do I receive my dividends does cash just appear in my account ?

(Emma) #201

You get an intercom notification when a dividend is paid. It’s planned to have an item in the activity feed as well.

Know your first question had been answered a couple of times but can’t find a link atm. They’re safe as they’re held separately is the short answer. But they aren’t going to stop trading.

(Alexander) #202

So the money from dividend will just appear in your account automatically on the date it is due to be paid ?
I wasn’t think they are going to just stop trading and run with my money but if companies go bust and just wondering how I would get hold of my shares if that did happen would i need to take note of a certificate number in order to transfer them to another broker ?

(Emma) #203

It could take a few days after the due date depending how quickly the company sends it, if it’s paid by cheque etc

Found it. Earlier in this thread

(Rob N) #204

The key thing is that your investments are safe and secured by FSCS, who as far as I’m aware are actually very quick to resolve these things, so you wouldn’t have to wait ages to get back your holdings.

But in the unlikely event of Freetrade failing I think another broker would buy the client book so your assets would move over to them.

(R) #205

Hi there, noob question here. If I buy shares in a company through here, am I entitled to things like listening in to investors meetings, share holder perks, voting where applicable, etc? If so, how do I go about proving ownership?

I’m sure there is a lot of variation between companies, but in general?

(R) #206

It’s really cool, you get a direct message telling you the dividen you got and the cash just appears in your Acc when it’s awarded as cash obviously. I got my first one recently and it was awesome :sunglasses:

(R) #207

Jesus that is a scary amount of assets to momentarily be floating in the wind. Crazy.

(John) #208

Evening all! Stocks & Shares ISA question here.

I note the following from a Freetrade blog post:

• You can only contribute to one of each type of ISA each tax year.
  • Based on the current rules, you can keep as many ISAs as you want open.

My question is on the specific definition of “contribute” in this. Does this only refer to depositing cash into the Freetrade ISA account? Or does it also include any one of: buying shares, selling shares, receiving dividends, buying shares with received dividends or withdrawing cash from a Freetrade ISA?

I am intending on depositing a lump sum of cash into the account before the 5th April with which I will buy/sell shares in the next financial year. I do however want to keep my options open for the next financial year and don’t want to prevent myself from opening a new Stocks & Shares ISA with a different provider in the coming financial year.

Thanks in advance,
John

Salutations @john.com

Unless I misunderstood, which wouldn’t be the first time btw, a contribution refers only to depositing/ transfering money into the S&S ISA.

Once inside, according to current rules, you can buy individual stocks, ETFs or Trusts. The proceeds derived from either received dividends or through capital gains on the sales don’t count as contribution to the S&S ISA. And they are tax exempt forever. Or at least till some government decides to change the rules.

(John) #210

Raul, thanks for your reply.

That is what I thought (and hoped) and it is nice to hear it from another source. I guess the key point is that the whole Freetrade ISA account counts as the ISA, cash and all.

(Jim) #211

Yes, perfectly acceptable.