Ask your beginners questions here 🐣

Stamp duty (the government charge) is U.K. only, and isn’t payable on ETFs. No idea about American stocks, I’m sure (:crossed_fingers:) there will be a lovely blog when they’re available, explaining everything

3 Likes

100% there are no charges on US shares.

However, there is a 30% withholding tax on dividends received (no allowances to mitigate this), which is reduced to 15% if you file a W-8BEN form to prove you are not a US resident.

As far as I am aware, that is the only extra charge that is applicable to the US stocks.

2 Likes

I have iweb, what is more important incase of US stocks is FX conversion. As far as I’m aware there is no broker that provides Isa does FX conversion at interbank rate.
Recently I got GOOG in iweb Isa and I was 1.5% down right after the purchase :rage:
With FT it would be around 0.5%, I think.

Yes, it is the case at the moment. If you buy and sell within a second, you will be ~1% down (subject to one-second FX and stock price fluctuations).

Cheers Vlad, I suppose this create another question. Will Canadian stocks be available? BMO is what I was interested in dividend wise and now I wonder if it will be available on here and how the dividends will be taxed.

I doubt Canadian Stock Exchange will be more of a priority over Hong Kong, Tokyo and Euronext due to the significance of the last three.

But who knows, if there will be demand and if it will not be too difficult to implement - it could very well be available sooner or later :wink:

3 Likes

Cracking question, I’m a uk based complete newbie to all of this,studying many online videos to learn from the start they all seem to be US based, I’d like to learn what’s required tax wise as I’m currently employed and also I find it so interesting still only paper trading simulation access to real time data like think or swim would be also a great learning opportunity

Shares come under Capital Gains Tax. Unless in an ISA, then they are exempt.

1 Like

Hi Guys

Just set up this account 10 minutes ago, look forward to trading.

One question I can seem to find the answer to though is, Do you charge any fees for dividend re- investments??

1 Like

If I remember correctly, Dividends are paid to your freetrade balance so would be treated as a normal trade when invested.

2 Likes

Yes there’s no fee for this :moneybag:

2 Likes

Thanks, and I assume i can set up the dividends to automatically be re-invested?

Not yet but you can vote for that idea here -

☑[Feature Request 🔧] Autopilot 🤖 (Automatic investment)

1 Like

Seen the link but how do I actually vote for this, would be a great advantage for someone like me with longer term investments.

Also, are there any costs to move my existing stock and shares isa to Freetrade

1 Like

Click the vote button next to the title to vote for the idea :raised_hands:

We don’t have a transfer process in place at the moment so you may incur charges if you sell your existing portfolio. Once you have, you can purchase it again for free using Freetrade though.

The taxman knows about Freetrade?! Damn it! :unamused:

I know we can recieve dividends on this app but what about EPS payments? Will that appear in our accounts too?

What’s an EPS payment?

2 Likes

(Earnings per share) sometimes companies can give you some of their net profit as an extra payment.

1 Like

I go on a website called tradingeconomics.com and it’ll show all the data on different companies. Some will give you EPS payments AND dividends.