Automatic reinvesting in shares

I suppose it’s possible to top up automatically from your bank account, but can you buy stocks automatically in Freetrade?

Not yet. You need to give the order yourself. But once fractional shares are introduced soon, this should be easier.

Autopilot is still under development and would expect it to be released by mid-2020, especially given 212 are releasing their version by April.

Also, there’s already some threads like this one on the topic that could use your :ballot_box::

3 Likes

Feels like it’s been pushed back because I can’t see it on the roadmap and it has not been mentioned much since around April 2019.

2 Likes

Frustrating, hoping it’s been quietly worked on and not shelved indefinitely. :freetrade: need more (quality) engineers at this stage! Development output in customer facing features need to speed up, not slow down.

I want this as soon as reasonably possible:

3 Likes

Useful comments. Thank you.

Trading212 have just positioned themselves to be by far the best broker in the UK by functionality. They’ve just released their auto-reinvesting feature with automatic re-allocations.

If FreeTrade doesn’t respond with this feature within 6 months, I fear the battle is lost.

FreeTrade may be young but once people get used to the new advanced features on 212, they’re unlikely to switch.

1 Like

Would love automated investing for my monthly etf stocks ASAP please!

It need Freetrade to do my cost averaging for me and save me from myself… I need to stop trying the time the market - I wait too long and fail to buy the dips!

3 Likes

Any updates on the feature

2 Likes

They have to introduce UK fractional first, then you can expect the auto-invest to follow.

1 Like

fractionals arent needed for automatic investing

Surely if you’re allocating percentage amounts of your investment based on just cash amount you’d need UK fractionals. I believe the FT team have already stated they need to tackle UK fractionals before the auto invest feature.

I.e- £100 investment spread in 25% allocations would need fractionals to allocate that specific percentage of stocks due to share price costs

You’re thinking of 212.

automatic investing doesnt need fractions to work, yes i believe freetrade are looking at fractions but it isnt of any particular consequence for automated investing, you either have enough to buy a share or it waits until you do have enough to buy a share (thats how dividend reinvestment works for example).

I have automatic investing already for my company shares and pension, no fractions available for that.

Ahhhh yes I see what you mean, that makes sense yea. I think FT seem to be aiming for something similar to 212 when they roll out their auto-invest feature that’s likely why there will be more delay to it. It will undoubtedly be a plus feature too I’m sure.

Yeah I think they likely are as well, though they’ve not said to much about what it might look like I’m hoping for a simple and elegant approach (I’m actually not a huge fan of the pie concept elsewhere even though I initially thought it was pretty good)

1 Like

yeah its too slow… we need this feature asap… lets put some pressure on :wink:

FT have always been open about what they’re working on and publish the Roadmap. It looks like EU expansion bring both FT to Europe and the European markets to FT is the main push right now.

1 Like