BABB on CrowdCube

As this has turned partly into a fintech investment chatā€¦ What do you make of BABB on Crowdcube? Blockchain banking is clearly the right niche to be in but that valuation seems extreme. As mentioned previously, I donā€™t want to miss out on the Fintech train but this one looks a bit rich for meā€¦

My view, not to be confused with facts:

I cannot figure out how theyā€™ve come to that valuation. Others are in the same boat, seems like the pitch manager is selectively answering questions. They have very little at the moment, the token anyone can create, Google it, you can make a BAXX token :joy: Plus the token tech will pose problems. Bandwagons are cool :pensive: Questionable future partners as well.

Like I said all my opinion, no facts :wink:

6 Likes

Valuation looks eyepopping, the story seems a bit hard to follow and like they are saying they will do everything. The crypto part confuses me.

2 Likes

imo not sure they understand it either.

Only just looked at Babb, the valuation is ludicrous. That looks like a potential future worst investment for someone :smiley:

Disclaimer: never listen to me I donā€™t know what iā€™m doing

2 Likes

Have come across this ā€œinterestingā€ opportunity recently.

Pre-money valuation of Ā£100m, aim to collect Ā£1.5m offering 1.48% equity and yet all they have done is applied for a banking license in 3 countries. Seems like the entire USP goes around using blockchain technology but is it really worth that much? What are these guys hoping to achieve? And how did CC let them out with such ludicrous valuation :thinking:

3 Likes

It looks like a failed ICO since the ICO mania is over for now. Now they are fund raising through Crowdcube. Wouldnā€™t touch it with a 10 foot pole.

4 Likes

Awaiting access to biz planā€¦

3 Likes

Crowdcube need to shut this one down already, it might wind up hurting their brand and crowdfunding as a whole.

They keep saying they are using DCF ( discounted cash flow ) and refer to their business plan but thereā€™s not enough details to model this, people have tried in the discussions.

The blockchain thing probably wonā€™t work here and itā€™ll delay getting a license as the regulators will need to scrutinise yet another thing. Worryingly one of the response in their discussion was about SQL and the blockchain but it didnā€™t make sense to me, see: ā€œcompetition already doing it like TransferWiseā€.

2 Likes

Interesting table here, they managed to get all the ticks including ā€œBank Licenceā€ yet not having one in place (planning to obtain in 2019)ā€¦

Also quite optimistic growth with no losses from year 1, PAT growing 270% YoY for 5 years; PAT of Ā£235m in 2023.

Ridiculous!

2 Likes

Could they be implying their payments license is a ā€˜bankā€™ license? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

That would certainly be misconstruing, because all those entities have a payment licence and only Monzo, Atom, Starling and N26 - banking licence.

1 Like

We discussed it a bit here Best & Worst Investments šŸ’ø - #29 - the business plan document contains every fintech and crypto word ever, and they are going to do everything ever. No.

3 Likes

Oops, have absolutely no idea how on earth I could have missed it :roll_eyes:. @tommy would you mind merging, please, if necessary?

Thanks Rod! Have combined the two @Vlad

2 Likes

This seems like an awful idea to me.
Therefore itā€™s guaranteed to change the world.

Valuation has been revised down to Ā£50mā€¦

5 Likes

Was just about to post this! Fast fingers!

Where is my barge pole?

4 Likes

This is so unprofessional thoughā€¦ Jumping into crowdfunding and cutting Ā£50m of valuation halfway through. Really not the behaviour you would expect.

5 Likes

Almost every comment on their Crowdcube discussion is ā€œyour valuation is ridiculousā€ ā€œthis is an insultā€ or ā€œwhat are you thinking?ā€ so thereā€™s seeming consensus amongst the crowd investors. Interestingly, some of the comments were also aimed at Crowdcube, for letting them pitch with such a high valuation.

I think it wouldnā€™t be too much of a stretch to say this pressure has led to this valuation adjustment, driven in turn by the need for capital to satisfy the regulator in light of their application process.

5 Likes