Baillie Gifford Shin Nippon plc BGS

This trust invests in small Japanese firms with high growth potential. Investments are focused on emerging markets, aiming to provide long-term capital growth.

EDIT: This post is a wiki now, so community members can contribute information about this trust.

Community content posted here are the views of the author only and are not approved by Freetrade.

Trust site: https://www.bailliegifford.com/en/uk/individual-investors/funds/baillie-gifford-shin-nippon/

Top 10 Holdings (as of 30/04/2021)

Fund %
1 RakSul 3.2%
2 Outsourcing 3.0%
3 Jeol 3.0%
4 Tsugami 2.8%
5 Snow Peak 2.5%
6 WealthNavi 2.5%
7 Megachips 2.4%
8 GMO Payment Gateway 2.4%
9 Bengo4.com 2.3%
10 Infomart 2.3%
Total 26.3%

Baillie Gifford have a webinare on the 16th that you can join regarding this trust

HIGH-GROWTH INVESTING IN A LOW-GROWTH ECONOMY

https://www.bailliegifford.com/en/uk/individual-investors/private-investor-forum/investor-webinars/shin-nippon-investor-webinar

BAILLIE GIFFORD SHIN NIPPON INVESTMENT TRUST - HIGH-GROWTH INVESTING IN A LOW-GROWTH ECONOMY - TUESDAY 15 JUNE 2021 AT 11:00AM BST

We are delighted to invite you to register for a Baillie Gifford Shin Nippon PLC webinar with investment manager, Praveen Kumar. Join him as he discusses high-growth investing in Japan, followed by a Q&A with the audience.

Japan offers a rich, deep, and largely unrecognized pool of disruptive and fast-growing businesses run by an increasing crop of young, dynamic, and ambitious entrepreneurs. We want to talk about the opportunity to invest in these high-growth Japanese small caps, some of which are driving the much needed structural change across numerous sectors in Japan.

If you wish to join the discussion, please submit your questions in advance of the event to trustenquiries@bailliegifford.com.

The webinar is scheduled for Tuesday 15 June at 11:00am and will take place using Zoom, which can be used on both desktop and mobile devices, such as phones or tablets. To register, please submit your details using the registration form below . Following registration you will receive a confirmation email containing details of how to access the webinar.

We look forward to welcoming you to the Shin Nippon Investor Webinar.

(@sampoullain any change we can make the op a wiki so we can add information about the trust?)

2 Likes

Done. Please share with the community what you learn!

3 Likes

Awesome, thanks. Just floating the idea, it might be great if other share posts could be wikis (even if restricted to a TL)

Thanks for the link Eden.

Interested to know what people’s thoughts are on this trust. Had this on my watch list for ages, watched as it climbed (rather quickly) last summer, then stupidly bought near the high :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:
I’ll learn one day…

1 Like

Its an interesting trust but not one im currently invested in as ive not put enough research into it and how it would fit into my holdings as what I don’t want is to end up with a shotgun scattering of investments that don’t make sense together. I may invest into it at some point, but im in the middle other other things using up money that it doesn’t make sense for me right now. One I will keep an eye on though I think.

1 Like

I like the aim of the trust and it has been successful over a long time frame. Japan and specifically Japanese smaller cos can benefit from an active strategy in my opinion. The culture, ways of working, values etc are all so unique compared to other countries. There are so many listed companies with no sell side coverage which gives an opportunity for those stock pickers that go out and find the super companies. I’m excited about the prospects of this strategy but decided against investing as I chose to go for more of a one stop shop Japan fund in JFJ. They invest across the market cap spectrum and I prefer that their team is on the ground whereas BG have chosen not to travel this year (although they tried to explain why this is not bad).
Whatever one decides I think timing the entry is somewhat important. There’s been a pullback and the Yen has weakened significantly so now might be a more attractive entry point compared to the start of the year. @Lee3 I also bought some Japan at the top but am still bullish long term

1 Like