Beating Inflation Expectations

Prices of things are already going up. My bills have already shot up for everything I would consider as must haves.

Queston is, how are you hedging against inflation? What sort of things are you investing in?

Stocks. What you pay more for products directly shows in growing revenue for the corresponding business which c.p. leads to higher stock prices.

3 Likes

While I agree with the above as a starting answer, not gonna lie I was searching for this topic myself. Inflation has always been low enough in my lifetime that yes, it’s not to be sniffed at, but even a below-par return should beat it. With what I believe is coming in the next 12 months, the i-word is definitely playing on my mind.

1 Like
1 Like

The good news for “us” (every investor has different personal circumstances but as far as our investments themselves are concerned) is that the market over the past month seems to have fully accounted for inflation. Whether that’s correlation or coincidence is another question of course.

1 Like

Another sign of inflation is shrinkflation.

Only my belly is beating inflation expectations as for my account mehhhh mehhhhhh Kenny mehhhhhh, its not going to plan :smiley:

2 Likes

Give me 5% shrinkflation all the way, on all food. Living alone, portion sizes are the bane of my existence.

1 Like

Shrinkflaton would be only be good if the prices also dropped as well

Well at the moment I’m paying for more than I need and then have to either eat too much, find creative ways of using the rest, or waste food. So no. For me shrinkflation is much better than inflation. Why would I want to pay more for the same quantity and be in the same predicament, when I can just have the same thing, smaller, and not have that hassle?

Eat less

1 Like

when you live alone it’s not that simple. if you’re buying fresh food for one it’s extremely difficult to get the right portion sizes, often the compromise is okay I have a bit too much of this and I’ll use a bit less of that to balance the calories out. The more people you’re shopping for the easier it is to get precise quantities. That’s why for me shrinkflation would be a good thing.

I live alone as well and I really don’t think into it that much when I buy stuff yeah it Usally makes two dinners so I will replica a second plate and have it the next day.

2 Likes

Same, make an evening meal and the leftovers go straight into a lunchbox for the next day

1 Like

On Wednesday, the Office for National Statistics revealed that the Consumer Prices Index (CPI) jumped by 5.4% in the twelve months to December.