šŸ’» Beta Testing for Freetrade Web

This is a great idea! An example from Binance

6 Likes

I think to avoid constant emails or login you just need to add WebAuthn, itā€™s supported by all modern browsers

2 Likes

So am I hearing this right? Basic, run of the mill access to my investments, viewable on a desktop PC is going to be a Plus Member only thing?

2 Likes

Can you share where you heard / read that? As per the thread title this is the beta testing phase.

1 Like

Iā€™m just going off what people ar posting in this thread. Beta or not. To me it sounds like itā€™s leaning that way already.

Might not be a popular opinion but having web access is something extra which wasnā€™t included as part of the basic free model, so Iā€™d not be too fussed if Freetrade were to have this for Plus members only.

I am a Plus member and Iā€™d probably think twice about cancelling if I were to lose access to the web version.

As I said, just my opinion, I donā€™t know what Freetrade plan to do.

13 Likes

Ah Ok no problem. Was just wondering if Iā€™d missed somebody from Freetrade mentioning it.

Amazing to be part of a company which is so interested in its customersā€™ feedback! We basically now have the opportunity of ā€˜creatingā€™ something together. I donā€™t think this is something common in any other similar company. Well done Freetrade!

11 Likes

Surely the ability to access your portfolio from a web browser, is as basic as things get!

I honestly donā€™t know how it can be seen as an extra feature, only plus members have access too.

7 Likes

Iā€™d have to agree. Iā€™m not a fan of putting bog standard features such as a web portal behind a paywall.

4 Likes

Hear what youā€™re saying @Orbital and @rehpot but the original basic offering was the mobile app, launched over 2 years ago, with no web browser feature.

So I see this as something extra, not standard (although standard if you compare it to other more expensive brokers).

7 Likes

I think the reasoning is that Freetrade is a smartphone/mobile app based investing platform.

In general terms a web version may be basic. But Freetrade is mobile by design. Hence the web version can indeed be considered as an extra feature.

No company is obliged to offer both mobile and web versions of their platform.

I wonā€™t object to Freetradeā€™s decision on this matter. If Freetrade wants to include the web version for the free tier so be it. But I would rather see it for Plus only

5 Likes

You would ā€œratherā€ see it as a plus only feature?! Why? I honestly canā€™t believe, that a desktop accessible website is an ā€œextra featureā€. Madness.

5 Likes

Iā€™m just a cow BUT Iā€™d love to know if thereā€™s an age thing at play here with the desktop vs mobile/tablet* fans.

I feel like some people view Freetrade as a Mobile First service and others think investing should be a Web First experience. I do wonder whether the difference in outlook comes down to age, size of portfolio, quality of mobile phone, or something else.

*(the iPad app is brilliant though I just use the iPhone app for everything and am happy enough given what I payā€¦ which is nothing right now as all my savings are in my AJ Hell LISA and therefore I donā€™t need Plus or an ISA)

PS. Iā€™d be happy for them to keep it as a Plus service and Iā€™ll experience it when Iā€™m a paying customer and a Plus member again.

1 Like

I donā€™t see this having been reported so Iā€™m not sure if Iā€™m just having a dumb moment. The y-axis seems to have a mind of its own.

The stock (APA) was down 0.4% at 16:23 (in the screenshot) but the graph puts it between 1.0% and 2.0% down - The mobile app graph was fine.

graphScreenshot-YAxis

The way I see it a web based version of the platform allows for the implementation of advanced functionalities and enhanced features. That is the kind of plus web version Iā€™m thinking off when I say I would rather see it on plus only

Unfortunately itā€™s not possible to get all the goodies for free, or else companies go bankrupt.

One fair possibility, mentioned by someone else already I believe, would be to have a basic free web version and a plus advanced web version with all the features. It would be a steal at 10 quid a month. Having the extra features for free is unsustainable I think

I understand. Hence having a free version and a plus version may be the the appropriate course of action

7 Likes

Using my first post here to say thank you! Itā€™s a great step and Iā€™m really excited to see how it evolves.

14 Likes

Definitely agree on the 2FA

1 Like

I think Iā€™m in just the right age range to want EVERYTHING first. I want a first class mobile app in which I can use my investments at any time and I want a first class web app which can do more than mobile with larger screen estate.
Also I envy people who identify as cow. Personally I identify as cat.

5 Likes

TBH considering the fact that 212 provides both a Web & Mobile Interface for free then Freetrade should provide the same thing.

2 Likes