BHP - BHP

One of the biggest resource companies in the world. They produce commodities such as petroleum, copper, iron ore and coal.
1 Like

BHP Group has produced its first iron ore at its $3.6 billion South Flank operations in the central Pilbara region of Western Australia, it said on Thursday.

South Flank will produce 80 million tonnes per year of iron ore to replace diminishing output from the existing Yandi operation. South Flank, alongside BHP’s Mining Area C, will form the largest operating iron ore hub in the world, producing 145 million tonnes of the steel-making material each year, the company said in a statement.

It comes as iron ore prices reached records above $230 a tonne this month driven by China’s industrialisation drive as it emerges from the COVID-19 pandemic that has led to a surge in demand for steel, as well as supply constraints from Brazil.

The ore, mined from the lands of Aboriginal partners the Banjima people, will improve BHP’s average iron ore grade to 62% iron content from 61% and the overall proportion of high grade lump to 30% to 33% from 25%.

Booming iron ore prices have fed Australia’s coffers despite rising tensions with its biggest trading partner China that have impacted other minerals exports such as coal. Australia is the world’s biggest supplier of iron ore.

4 Likes

They seem to be getting a little bit on the busy side and possibly worth keeping a close eye on!!

2 Likes

A darling of the dividend crowd is coming good with a $3 payout.

Not sure if dropping from the FTSE100 will have an affect on the long term share price though.

2 Likes

Will Freetrade still support BHP shares?

1 Like

That article wasn’t paywalled for me yesterday, odd.

In short yes, you’ll be able to buy BHP on the LSE but it won’t be included in the FTSE100, where it is the second biggest company. This isn’t a forgone conclusion but the price could easily drop as every FTSE100 tracker will be forced to sell.

More details here, hopefully no pay walled-

Top investor warns BHP Billiton over plan to axe London listing

1 Like

BHP’s decision to leave the FTSE 100 is no disaster for London | Nils Pratley | The Guardian

Only time will tell??!!

1 Like

Thanks, that is helpful.
Pauline

1 Like

But will Freetrade still cover them - plenty of stocks which aren’t able to be traded - Looking at you Chesnara - why do I need premium to buy this stock?!

BHP have so far only proposed this and it will need a vote by shareholders, it remains to be seen if this will pass. Assuming it does pass they’re likely to offer something on LSE as they’re the second biggest company by markets cap on FTSE100.

Chesnara is a small cap stock listed on LSE SETS. More information on which stocks are on plus is here. The decisions are not arbitrary

Bare in mind that prior to Freetrade, if you were an investor, it would cost you £8-£15 per trade for all stocks

3 Likes

thats fine - but why don’t I use my Trading212 account and move my ISA there? At least they have BAE, Rolls Royce etc. I’m still incredibly frustrated by Freetrade and its random stock allocations as to what you can and cannot buy

Why? They are quite clear on what universe if free and what isn’t.

The Freetrade stock universe

Freetrade logo

Free

FTSE 350 (Large + Mid Cap)

MSCI US Prime Market (Large + Mid Cap)

All Vanguard + iShares + Invesco ETFs

AIM 100

IPOs & SPACs

Freetrade Plus

PLUS £9.99/month

Everything in the free plan, and:

+ FTSE Small Cap (FTSE All-Share minus FTSE 350)

+ FT SE AIM All-Share ex AIM 100

+ S&P SmallCap 600

Most traded shares

2 Likes

Hey @bolide there is no reason why, you’re free as all customer are to pick what you feel is the platform for you to use.

T212, Bulgarian / Vanuatu incorporated platform that doesn’t keep your investments separate from their own fund so in the event of a failure they aren’t protected, are just one option.

As myself and @Big-g have highlighted, there universe hasn’t changed since FT+ was launched and isn’t ‘random’

2 Likes

Former up 5% for the year the latter down 51% over 5 years? Sound like you’ve probably made money by not being able to buy them.

In seriousness National declaration will be coming online once the EU markets are underway.

5 Likes

And time has told… As one of the army of newbies does any one know will the ex- div date and yield change now?

Hi,

This thread is not linked in with BHP on the FT ios application.

1 Like

Hi. Thanks for letting us know, this has been rectified.

2 Likes

thank-you very much

1 Like

:heart_eyes: free shares
A shame I don’t own many BHP :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

Yeah. Would have been nice if we received this notification before the time. Bit pointless to let us know of this after the fact.

Noice. Notifications are just as quick to appear as dividend payments… :saluting_face: