Brexit

:notes: All I want for Christmas, is EUUUUU :notes:

2 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes

I knew they’d be a deal. It is the way not only Europe works but businesses in general. Negotiate hard until the very last.

I suspect nobody will be happy, but hopefully this isn’t some fudge and we can all be happy and trade as before.

I think the break up of the UK will eventually happen regardless of our EU membership status and I suspect EU could collapse too as an entity.

Interesting times

1 Like

Anticlimax.

1 Like

The EU provided a comparison with the old deal

9 Likes

Seems like most of the things we expected

We never had an old deal, we were under the EU

The EU was the old deal and we were a massively influential part of the EU (hence why the number of pieces of EU legislation that we actually objected to was incredibly low). I’m not sure what point you are actually trying to make by making some sort of distinction?

1 Like

Hi, would you mind sharing where you found this?

Just wondering in case there is anything else that might be useful to my EU interactions :slight_smile:.

If you go to the bottom of the page and download the main cooperation document, the pages I posted are located in the links at the very bottom for the other documents

But there’s lot of info in all those pages and the links

7 Likes

Thank you :smiley:.

1 Like

Loss of passporting rights seems like a big deal in the long run for the financial sector.

3 Likes

They need to get equivalence sorted for financial services in the short term (no reason EU shouldn’t grant it apart from being difficult).

In the long term, decide if they want to align with EU or diverge to attract more global business.

1 Like

It’s a big blow, but not unexpected unfortunately.

Similarly, UK service suppliers in the EU will have to comply with host-country rules in each Member State, and will no longer benefit from the country-of-origin principle, mutual recognition (e.g. of professional qualifications), or passporting rights for financial services. UK service suppliers and investors can also establish themselves in the EU in order to offer services across the Single Market.

It’s not so much about being difficult, it’s about the EU assessing the medium term implications to its financial markets, business and consumers of a UK policy that seeks divergence, whatever this ultimately looks like.

2 Likes

I think the nature of equivalence is that it can be withdrawn quickly, so there is no reason it shouldn’t be granted since we will still have regulatory alignment on Day 1.

What an utterly depressing read.

Merry Christmas everyone :santa::snowman::evergreen_tree::gift:

3 Likes

Factbox-Brexit and the City of London: what changes and when?

Quote from the article

"Clearly this is ludicrous for one country, but imagine if every country in the world had the same idea.

Reality:

The EU from July 2021 will impose new vat rules requiring:

For non-EU suppliers – which will, of course, include UK suppliers – there will be a requirement for sellers to charge VAT at the point of sale for consignments of €150 or below. This will be based on the VAT position in the customers’ member state with the VAT reported on a single OSS declaration. There will be a requirement to register in one EU member state in which to file the OSS declarations and there may be a need to appoint a tax representative.

So in fact 27 more counties will be implementing the same rule.

What’s interesting is for years they’ve already been required to register for UK vat since to sell within the EU you must impose vat of the destination country and must register for vat in every EU country you sell to.