Brexit

This is one of the best things I have read today ! You really made my day @Rat_au_van so nerdy and intelligent at the same time ā€“

2 Likes
3 Likes

No, this is impossible. The EU courts that ruled that the UK can unilaterally revoke Article 50 said they would only accept it if it happened in good faith. They explicitly ruled out the scenario youā€™re describing as a revocation in bad faith. They reserved the right to just kick out the UK with no deal if they think that the withdrawal happened in bad faith.

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/explainers/ecj-ruling-article-50

3 Likes

I have to say, it is wrong to say that the UK has to act in good faith if they revoke Article 50.

Your link clearly states:

The ECJ has said that if the UK revoked Article 50, it would stay in the EU ā€œunder terms that are unchanged as regards its status as a member stateā€. That means the UK would keep all the opt-outs and the EU budget rebate it has at the moment.

Thats canā€™t have strings attached. It would also mean that the UK could also activate Article 50 again as that is ā€˜under the terms that are unchanged as regards its status as a member stateā€™.

Acting in good faith is only in the EU withdrawal treaty which has been rejected.

It does state, in your defence, that:

The revocation of Article 50 itself must be ā€œsubmitted in writing to the European Councilā€, and it must be ā€œunequivocal and unconditionalā€. That the revocation must be unequivocal implies that the UK could not revoke to get a breathing space in order to prepare better to resend the Article 50 notification in due course.

Implying things isnā€™t a legal standing and the article accepts this by stating:

However, it is not exactly clear what the EU could do about it if the UK did adopt that approach.

1 Like

Round we go one more time, keep your hands inside the car and scream if you want to go faster :roller_coaster:

Feels pointless as the vote isnā€™t legally binding, and they are focusing on what they donā€™t want rather than what they want. Wonder how much every vote costs the tax payer. The irony is the MPs have had two ā€œmeaningful votesā€ on the exact same deal, both times itā€™s been turned down.

1 Like

Third time lucky :four_leaf_clover: :crossed_fingers:

Itā€™s also a ā€œfree voteā€ as long as you freely vote their way

Pound-Dollar

Well this is terrifying

https://costofbrexit.netlify.com

3 Likes

I canā€™t wait to explain this utter omnishambles to my kids in years to come.

3 Likes

You wonā€™t have to, itā€™ll still be going on at the stage theyā€™re explaining it to their kids

3 Likes

Oh **UK! indeed

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheEconomist/status/1106180515080622080

3 Likes

I suspect this is all just cunning smoke and mirrors created by our government to justify their jobs and cover up the fact that we just donā€™t need them.

Kind of like when your manager goes on holiday for 2 weeks and yet somehow the team not only manages to survive but actually thrives in those 2 weeks, thus bringing into question the actual purpose of said manager ā€¦

I wish I could believe they were that cunning. Theyā€™re just straight up incompetent and fearful of popularity polls. Too busy focusing on staying in power and not grasping the concept that thereā€™s no point in being in power if thereā€™s nothing to be in power of.

3 Likes

Question: during situations such as Brexit how can we ensure that those we trust in power remain objective.

This is inspired by this news article: Jacob Rees-Mogg ā€˜has earned Ā£7,000,000 from investments since Brexitā€™ | Metro News

Now obviously i am not privy to the facts and i personally have no insight into Mr Rees-Mogg or his business, but it does raise the question in my mind, should we somehow prevent those who are making these decisions from profiting from them? e.g. asset freezing or strict controls on what they can invest in. Otherwise how can we trust our ā€˜leadersā€™?

AFAIK you canā€™t. This is a fundamental problem in Economics and Philosophy of Economics and spawns in situations where thereā€™s information asymmetry between two actors. Itā€™s called the Principal-Agent Problem.

A politician is always considered to have an information premium over a civilian for a multitude of reasons (expert advising, access to secret state level information, etc). It can be argued that his actions are (at least) executed to maximise your own benefit regardless of your own perception, in light of that information premium. Proving that though is impossible.

To make the above a little bit more explicit, JRM might claim that what heā€™s doing is to his knowledge and information the best for you and England. Proving that he is doing that and that heā€™s not screwing you to his own benefit is impossible (well, at least without Law Enforcement engaging, or under the light of history several years later).

For a more well reasoned take on this, see this Reddit post.

2 Likes

3 more months of this :sob:

7 Likes

Wonā€™t get any better. Bercow needs to allow MV3 happen, so May can have another crack at passing. :man_facepalming: Or EU needs to back down on MPs agreeing to the deal before the short extension.

Doesnā€™t look good. Unless May triggers a new general election, or a ā€œmeaningfulā€ peopleā€™s vote, which should convince the EU to give a longer extension. But then it will return to this carnage in a few months. :man_shrugging:

Weirdly they all swear they are upholding what the people want :thinking:

1 Like

It gives the trust I work for another 3 months to issue even more ā€˜Brexit emergency contingency planā€™ emails. Iā€™m going to have to create a Brexit sub inbox at this rate :woman_facepalming: