Brexit

:weary:

Iā€™m sure the list of options is bigger in this diagram, not smaller now -

1 Like

Thank God! I was scared there would be fewer ā€œBrexit negotiationsā€ news in case of a no deal on the 12th. But now we have six more months* of uncertainty and constant Brexit-related FT headlines :partying_face:

*if the HoC will agree to take part in the EP elections

2 Likes

Iā€™m surprised my uk dividend etf hasnā€™t reacted more violently - yes itā€™s up and down by 2% here and there but thatā€™s all really ā€¦ fingers crossed

1 Like

Even the markets are bored of the whole thing

4 Likes

The stock market has done okay with Brexit over the last few years so I donā€™t expect much to change. The doom and gloom on the stock market never materialised. It was the currency markets which fared the worst.

1 Like

Itā€™s true UK stocks have held up, but they are lagging US stocks by a country mile. Sterling has been battered, I anticipate sterling to move to 1.4 once brexit is sorted, this will drag up a lot of UK domestic stocks. There is underpricing in UK domestic stocks basically. I can imagine the BOE will want to hike as soon as a withdrawal agreement is met and that will strengthen sterling even more.

I like US stocks, but I donā€™t like buying them at 1.3 dollars to the pound.

1 Like

Itā€™s dragging out till October?

Honestly, I canā€™t even hear that word anymore.

1 Like

Bring on the EU elections! :rofl:

I know what you meanā€¦

Once upon a time Ā£1.00 = $2.00. The good old days!

You could buy nearly twice as much US shares.

Today Ā£1.00 = $1.30 :grimacing:

2 Likes

Yeah it means you can only buy US stocks which can deliver outsized returns. You are always fighting the pound weakness. Sticking with UK domestic stocks is good either way, that compounding and reinvestment of dividends will go a long run.

Wonder what would happen if the US dollar falls from favour in the next 50 years with the rise of the new superpowers Brazil, India, China. They all seem to be dumping the dollar. The UK thinks it can thrive in splendid isolation away from its main trading partners in the EU. Brexit is a sad thing which should have never happened. David Cameronā€™s short lived career caused a lot problems, where is he now?? He was quick to bugger off and let others pick up the pieces.

3 Likes

Buffett on Brexit: Weā€™d love to put more money into the UKā€™

4 Likes

Interesting to see a leader of an execution-only brokers taking a political position, and makes you wonder if there would be some brand mileage in an execution-only broker taking an anti-Brexit positionā€¦

The Sharecentre CEO says we need another EU referendum because thereā€™s no mandate for a no-deal exit. And that heā€™d be voting to leave again.

Good to see someone found in contempt of parliament, who committed electoral fraud, being brought into government to sort out this mess. :+1:

Special mention also for Priti Patel: https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1153945220108693505?s=20

1 Like

I donā€™t understand, what chaos, what financial turmoil? Come November 1st Britain will once again be greatā€¦

2 Likes

Totally agree. As an Irishman any initial dips will be brought back up within a year. Fearmongeringā€¦that border though has to be free trade. Iā€™m a United ireland man (controversial) but I do think Brexit can help that.

Everything that is happening is due to market paranoia, not a reflection on the actual economy itself as employment is still at record highs. Once the whole issue of brexit is over, the market will go back up. Just think of this phase as a bargain hunt. Thatā€™s what Iā€™m doing right now.

1 Like

Brexit will not be over in our lifetimes - trade relations with a bloc as large as europe will take years or decades to negotiate, whatever choice the UK makes. Then there are global headwinds the UK will find it hard to shake off, and the UK may cease to exist as Scotland and NI consider joining the EU instead.

I disagree this is market paranoia - the UK is seriously considering a unilateral Brexit, which would be incredibly damaging and is not priced in (we can expect a currency plunge, property crash and recession soon after if they do this). The US appears to want a trade war - this will have massive effects across the world and may even lead to real war - it will certainly destabilise global trade and may provoke a global recession. If anything I think the markets are under-reacting and hoping sanity prevails. US markets are still near all time highs.

Maybe large internationals headquartered in London will do ok, but many uk-only firms and uk subsidiaries will suffer greatly if they do actually crash out, industries like car manufacturing will simply cease to exist as factories move to the EU, financial services will move to the EU, and the tax base will shrink accordingly. Iā€™m still hoping they see how insane this is and come to some agreement.

13 Likes

Weā€™ll be fine under WTO. Germany is suffering from manufacturing lows itself and heading to a recession and weā€™ve not even left yet.

That has exactly zero to do with Brexit. Itā€™s the US-China trade war and the US-Iran trade war and the US-Mexico trade war and the US- EU trade war that slows Germany down. Brexit is responsible for the negative growth in the UK now and we havenā€™t even left yetā€¦

2 Likes