Cineworld - CINE - Share Chat

But they only give the films 45 days exclusive and not the old 3-6 months. This is a big difference in waiting if you have a subscription to Disney. It’s good they are doing it but 45 days is nothing to wait.

1 Like

I agree Gary, it’s only a small victory for cinema chains, but nevertheless a win is a win :grin:

I notice there’s other factors in play here too which Disney may or may not have considered. For example I have read somewhere that Scarlett Johansson is suing Disney for loss of earnings over releasing Black Widow on streaming at the same time as in movie theatres.

3 Likes

I’d argue more on the price side (aside from being sued by actors). I need to buy Disney+ plus the film that I want to watch for ~£8 + £25-30.
My local vue sells me a ticket for £9.99 at the moment. Why pay more than £30 for watching it on my tv when I can pay a third and watch it on screen?

2 Likes

What’s the 25-30 for?

1 Like

The film. You have to actually buy it, e.g. for Mulan or Black Widow. Having disney plus just enables you to buy it :smiley:

2 Likes

Once you’ve bought it, what happens if you stop the Disney+ subscription? Can you still watch it whenever you want?

Nope

Oh I thought you meant the film for £8 but realise what you mean. Yeah 25-30 is a lot, I didn’t realise it was that price. :+1:

The Scarlet Johansson affect kicking in already.

Disney + is basically a tax you have no choice about when you’ve got kids in the house. Cruella was £19.99 and with their target for these being family’s it’s much cheaper than the cinema (no snacks, drinks or parking)

I’m on record as not being a fan of £CINE the stock bit this is a boost for them, 45 days is low but it will help them fill seats. Not enough to dent that debt pile they’re sitting on but it’ll help.

5 Likes

No you’re paying for early access not ownership.

Most people who watch Disney films are parents, and a lot of them have multiple children. So far them, the price can easily be comparable, especially if they know their kids will want to watch it several times.

2 Likes

This is pure speculation on numbers and not fact.

Sorry I don’t follow, what bit is pure speculation on numbers?

I don’t get that graph 1 bit @NeilB :thinking: is that your or actually stats and when says week one that’s from other weeks figures and you thinking in 5 years it’ll be worth 563p

Sorry if seem stupid any explanation will be greatly appreciated :+1:t2:

If 4DX is anything like the one in American it’s amazing :heart::heart: esp like something like a matrix or full on action even jumanji old and new anything with water splashing in to :+1:t2:

That is worth paying as 3D didn’t last long but did hurt the eyes after a while

So it’s like Amazon prime? You still actually have to buy the film you don’t get it free when subscribe to Disney+??? :thinking:

That’s actually disgusting :pensive:

2 Likes

It’s never stupid to ask a question. I lifted that from an article so the short term data is out of date now. It’s a retrospective look at the performance over the last 5 years, year on year. It shows, to me at least, the structural decline in £CINE which started before the pandemic and will only get worse.

2 Likes

Streaming platforms are all about content and the library Disney have built is up there if not the best available. Brand new BlockBuster movies like Cruella are only available if you pay for early access, if you wait about 6 weeks it enters the main library - which is all free and included in your D+ monthly fee.

Star Wars
Marvel
Pixar
Disney
National Geographic
The simpsons
Plus more I can’t think of

2 Likes

I guess they had a captive audience/market during lockdown to charge that much.

As a cheap skate, I subscribed when they streamed the last episode of The Mandalorian … watched it all, then cancelled… I’ll do the same for the Bad Batch also…

But I’d rather pay that kind of money and enjoy the cinema experience… aren’t they still running Meerkat 2 for 1? It’s a good deal … you can buy a 1 day policy for sub £2 and get the deal all year.

Anyway, I personally don’t see a big uplift in Cineworld shares unless there are numerous Xmas blockbusters to come… Even then I’d be more than happy to see 80-90p.

A long road ahead.

2 Likes

This was only for the latest blockbuster release (Milan/Cruella etc). As mentioned above their target market is families who likely can’t go midweek, need to buy multiple tickets, parking & then snacks. It’s a bargain at £19.99! It can be watched many times and this is only for early access, if you wait a few weeks it’s and then it’s free.

Streaming and cinema can co-exist just fine and D+ or Netflix isn’t going to end cinema. It will however require investment to entice people off their sofa. That requires capital and it remains to be seen how £CINE are going to make any meaningful progress with their current debt let alone borrowing more.

2 Likes