Coronavirus and Stock Markets - Thoughts?

I personally dont see how the stock market can start recovering when the number of cases are growing parabolically like tesla stock couple of months ago. Currently at 33% per day growth. Maybe in couple of months sure. But when everyone is sitting at home and not buying anything. We will get on the other side eventually by all paying higher tax later this year. As always people pay to bail corporations out

3 Likes

The stock market may have tanked too far in relation to the forward expected recovery, which explains some adjustments & gains last week.

Lots of investors missed the main dip and are now hoping it all dips like that again so they get a second chance. It’s so dumb. Things move really quick.

More volatility, yes. Will all companies go that low again? Most likely not all. Could the market crash later in the year, potentially. Could the bottom have been already reached, potentially.

2 Likes

No one knows if the market tanked too much or too little or when is the top or bottom. What we only can control in this situation is what companies to buy at what price in relation with how much cash flow they produce for shareholders aka us. Stop predicting the top and bottom.

8 Likes

Wall Street has other plans than the rest of us, and besides that some big investment banks have already said that the market already bottomed. It can also mean a trap or something else, unless you put yourself in the minds of these people we are just guessing using fact based evidence :[

Some interesting webcasts from S&P, with plenty on COVID-19:

2 Likes

TLDR
400% growth in corporate debt growth in emerging markets over 12 years (to $2.3 trillion) poses huge risks for them as well as for the global economy and any recovery.
Rising dollar makes dollar denominated debt less serviceable
Also questions whether/how China would support EM countries that suffer

5 Likes

On the latest news advice this evening. Looks like its time to start all those home based projects you’ve put off, learn a language or read a book you’ve always wanted to read. Try some mad world war 2 fitness program
 anything to try and stay sane

6 Likes

This is also quite shocking as well. Is there anything underlying at a government level, which obviously is withheld for public knowledge, in order to not panic people?

“German state’s finance minister kills himself”

1 Like

I seen that earlier and there’s some rumours it wasn’t just a “suicide”.

Was this a whistleblower that was about to expose what’s about to come?

Tragic and condolences to his family.

Also this might be a naive question

With all the dividend cuts and dividends being cancelled, when the world returns to normality will we still have the yield on cost we purchased today?

For example if I get in now and buy RDSB, at a 10% yield. They then decide they are suspending the dividend for 12 months because they cannot cover it. When they then reintroduce the dividend, say it’s now at 5%. I will still get the 10% right?

Hi Jamie, you will get the amount of dividend the company announces at the time and your yield will simply be the dividend value dividend by your cost per share.

If they reinstate the dividend at same level, your yield will be as before

2 Likes

No. You don’t get a yield, you get a dividend amount. Yield is an entirely calculated metric as stated in the post above mine.
If the dividend is 10p now and the share costs £1, the yield is 10%. If they cut it to 5p and the share price stays the same, the yield is now 5%. You don’t get percentages, but dividend amounts :wink:

2 Likes

Cheers for clearing that up lads :+1:t3:

1 Like

Some also said it hasn’t and it has far to go
 this is the entire point.

What!? The people getting paid commission on trades are saying the only way is up!!? Well. I. Never.

10 Likes
4 Likes

Millennials missing the dip. Waiting for stocks to go to zero before buying :crazy_face:

Investors should brace for another market dive

Another move lower in equities in the coming weeks should not come as a surprise, either. Shocking US economic data and poor earnings guidance from companies could pack a debilitating punch. This week’s record surge in people claiming US unemployment benefits was just the opening shot. Further instalments will test the notion that the “bazooka” of central bank and government spending initiatives, alongside much cheaper risk asset valuations, can offset Covid-19’s impact on the market.

3 Likes

Zoom insiders all selling, that Virus boost they’ve had must be trigger to cash in.

I missed boat on way up, just heads up for anyone sat on big gains to check this out
image|386x500

5 Likes