Costco Wholesale Corporation - COST

COST is a strong, conservative, long term pick in my opinion. Good suggestion.

1 Like

I thought this a great read on how Costco’s doing (or certainly was in June 2018).

Interesting and informative video on Costco’s business strategy. (Go to 3min if you want to skip the fuff)
Seems like a strong, stable long term investment.

Would love to see this on FT. :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

Can I CJ it’s for Costco please

1 Like

Would like this on FT

Costco will be coming to FT very soon. I’m so hyped.

I never really see Amazon as cheap, I see them as convenience. The main benefits being:

• Quick delivery
  • Ease of finding anything on a single site

When I’ve bought something like a garlic crusher on Amazon, it’s been about twice the price of the same item in a physical store, but I buy it on Amazon for the convenience.

Fantastic stock with a great history and strong dividends. Glad this is in the works to be added !!! :grin: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

This stock outperforms the s&p 500. We need this now!

4 Likes

It’s one of the 250 new US stocks we’ll add very soon.

1 Like

Is there any update on the date for the stocks? I don’t really want to split between multiple brokers!

Has a date been mentioned for when these stocks will be added?

I actually just bought it in T212

Is this too expensive now?

It looks like the lockdown in the US didn’t massively impact the stock.

You have to evaluate that, of course.

I’ve been researching the company, and I didn’t understand it as well as I should have. Now I’m thinking what’s the right entry point, but these are the most surprising aspects of the company I learnt:

• Focus. A large supermarket can have over 30,000 shopkeeping units (SKUs), but Costco has only 3,700 now. It focuses its buying power and gets better prices from suppliers as a results, and savings can be passed on to the customers.
  • It offers an IRL freemium / subscription service. Costco operates warehouses, and only members can shop. In the US, the yearly membership starts at $60. Executive membership costs $120 / year, and it gives you an extra 2% off your shopping. Executive members tend to spend more and make up just under 39% of members. That reminded me a bit of Amazon Prime.
  • Not really an e-commerce company. It’s started selling over the internet, and It does same-day delivery to US customers who live within a 20-minute drive of its warehouses, but internet sales still account for only 4% of annual revenues.

The most meaningful data for me is the growth of the memberships:
(source)

While the lack of e-commerce is something I dislike, this remains an interesting company on my watchlist.

2 Likes

Thank you Conor , for your research. How do you go back researching a company /sector.

Thanks again
Lee

Anyone got any Costco shares? I’m considering buying some but thinking I might try and wait for a better entry point. Any thoughts on whether it’s worth just diving in or should I wait?

I have held Costco for a few years. This writeup probably convinced me - I like the model Amazon-Prime-like membership and loyalty. I think that stock price movements are more or less random to the average retail investor like me, so I don’t really have a view on entry points.

1 Like

I personally have a membership and love it, it just seems to be up a bit at the moment and I’m thinking it might be worth hanging on for a better entry point.

Costco have incredible membership loyalty and have managed to find the price point where it’s as much an IQ test as it is a decision.

I don’t however like how much the stock has been riding up of late. Simply Wall Street have it slight under valued by ~15% but I don’t like the P/E of 41.

1 Like