Freetrade’s CrowdCube Fundraise

I think if I wait for Freetrade to be established with a released app and 100,000+ customers - well I won’t be able to buy into them at 54p.

And I look at them valued at £1billion and i’ll be saying to myself “damn imagine how much I would be worth if I had invested when they were £18million”

p.s. I think this will be my last ever “risky” investment, after this it’s dividend paying etfs for me. I’ve had some good returns “Monzo” and some poor “Sound Energy”. (Though Monzo can’t be traded yet)

1 Like

@daveTMG I’m afraid you’re missing the whole point.

With Freetrade you can invest in the broader market through passive ETFs with zero fees. You could also create your own diversified portfolio of stocks with zero fees. Up to you.

I expect the majority of our customers’ assets will be in ETFs tracking the market, along with some smart (or fun) stock picks.

10 Likes

As a millennial, I echo this! :raised_hands:

3 Likes

That’s why I’m here

1 Like

@rarther - I see DST’s most recent investments as a long term view (or punt depending on where you stand) on crypto as an asset class as well as a pivot towards the payments paradigm shift potential of blockchain. I see eToro’s recent equity capital raise being part of this interest. Whatever anyone’s view on crypto, and VTB associations aside, DST are incredibly shrewd operators (!)

I do agree with both your points on fluffy valuations. It’s extremely early days, viz users/sign ups and we haven’t seen the product yet. That being said, if you appreciate and understand that 100% of your capital is a risk AND you can afford to either loose or tie up your capital for 5-10 years on an early stage, high risk start up, why not? Especially given the low buy in price, and low barrier to entry Crowdcube provides to allow access to such potential. Caveat emptor, always.

Also absolutely with you on down round risk. Slightly related to this is the following question i’ve been pondering recently: How the next big shock will effect start ups and fintechs’ ability to raise equity capital to fund their operation and growth? Though perhaps that’s one for another thread. In either case I am looking forward to reading through the pitch deck next week.

2 Likes

This is an important data point for us, thanks for sharing @shaneleonard121

If we take the $2,000 per customer valuation, FX it, and add a discount to say £1,000 per customer, that implies our valuation is assuming 18,000 customers. I feel like this is super, super conservative, but I am biased.:raising_hand_man:

We priced the round to recognise the value we’ve created with our investors’ support, but also to offer an exceptional entry point for our community to own a piece of what we’re building, together.

9 Likes

There is no public data on Robinhood sadly, though it’s rumoured to be doing $100m in sales, double digit margins, with a high percentage of clients trading on leverage.

1 Like

I have a query for Crowdcube. Is it possible to pay my investment by several credit or debit cards? So I can commit to higher investment amount? Thx

Not from Crowdcube, you may be better off confirming with @HannahCrowdcube, but you can use multiple cards in my experience. The easiest way through Apply Pay if you are on iOS. You can simply invest X using one method and then invest Y, stating another method if you wish.
Not sure about Credit Cards though.

Just adding on to this, having looked more into the rewards…

… the £500 investment reward of “soar up the waitlist” doesn’t appear all that rewarding to those of us who’ve referred 6+ people.

Is their any scope to change this? (e.g. 2 month free trial of Alpha or merch at cost price+postage/packaging :wink:)
I’ve earmarked a sum in a Monzo pot above £300 but below £500. Soaring up the waitlist is of no real marginal benefit to me now so I’ve no incentive to invest bang on £500 :thought_balloon:

P.S. I know the main reward is from investing alone & that the rewards need to be cost effective for FreeTrade too, but they’re still nice bonuses nonetheless

2 Likes

Are you London-based @Diversify? Come by our offices in Soho and we’ll hook you up with some swag/merch, regardless of how much you invest.

Not the limited edition full swag pack though, that’s just for £1k+ investors :wink:

3 Likes

You’ve just made my day! :sunglasses:

I attend university in London. After exams are over, I’ll DM you ahead of a visit :raised_hands:

1 Like

@Diversify has the logic behind the referals and place in the que been explained somewhere?

Thanks, I did see that but it was a while ago and I would be surprised if 6 is still the magic number…
@Viktor has the ‘calculation’ been run again recently?

1 Like

I will be a 1k+, may I visit the office as well? Viktor is my hero who I cannot miss a chance to meet :smile:

2 Likes

Is possible to make a payment with Revolut card? Are Crowdcube accept Revolut?

They accept any Visa or MasterCard, as well as Apple Pay. Not sure if Revolut has the latter, but the former must be perfectly fine.

Hi @Diversify, happily we don’t have an issue with any specific bank account, but we have experienced account blocks from most of the major banks.

Please be assured this will not cause any issues with your account. When the block occurs just give your bank a quick call and let them know that the payment is safe. You can then retake your payment yourself from the payments section of your account, or pop us a call and we can do it for you :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi @LUKAS, unfortunately we can only hold one account on file for you at a time, so any multiple investments you make will be taken from the latest card registered. If you have a limit on your account, we would advise contacting your bank, who should be happy to temporarily lift the upper limit to allow a higher payment to go through.

2 Likes

Thx @HannahCrowdcube for reply. Kinda hard to get limit over GBP 20k.

1 Like