Darktrace - DARK - Share Chat

Hi, I’m a newbie to investments (2 weeks) and invested in Darktrace. I see the share price is falling and wonder what you’re thoughts are, should I keep them or pull out.

2 Likes

We’ve had pre-IPO investors selling their shares to make their money recently, but this is the main problem - they need to cut ties with Lynch and move on. It’s frustrating really as the business and tech is solid, this guy is dragging them down with his 4.5% share.

3 Likes

In the short term it’s bad but I think the fundamentals that underpin the tech are strong and it’s a long term investment opportunity imho

1 Like

Imo, he needs forcing out of the business. Right now there’s too much uncertainty surrounding the man, its making big ripples and killing the share price.

2 Likes

I like to think he is keeping the company in the headlines and all publicity is good publicity as they say and then when he leaves the SP rockets :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

As a newbie of 4 months and seeing my portfolio loose 17% within a week I understand your pain.

You only loose if you sell.

You bought because you believed in the company so keep the faith is best advice I can offer.

3 Likes

I see many people say "you only lose if you sell " on here recently. While that might feel good personally to say and hear, it’s wrong and dangerous.
Your asset is definitely worth less, it doesn’t matter if you sell or not and telling yourself otherwise can lead to sticking with a company that might never recover - losing much more than by just pulling the brakes on it now (or even throwing more money at an obvious mistake).

This has nothing to do with Darktrace itself, just a general observation.

5 Likes

I agree SebReitz and there is only so much you can afford to loose. I haven’t lost much at the moment so I think I will see how things go. As others have said it’s a good company just bad press and hopefully things will improve. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Thank you everyone for your comments.

3 Likes

TBH the “you only lose when you sell” is true to an extent though :+1: I feel this way with some stocks as I believe in them for the long term so I have not lost anything as I still own the same shares and don’t intend to sell them for years.

I get the warning of thinking like this but surely it is better to say you should always think “do I have faith in the future from now?” If not your losing. I bet on some companies for 30 years later and if they dip after 6 months then my bank is still the same so I am not losing out on my day to day.

You are of course correct that you are down at that point though :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Yeah, but it’s not guaranteed that these stocks will have a positive performance over the next X years, many stocks have negative performance or go bust - especially the smaller AIM ones that new investors seem so fond of on here. Survivorship bias is a lot at work here.
It’s just impossible to predict.

So you can’t just add hypothetical positive performances to elevate the value of a stock that’s down.
:wink:
Let’s phrase it this way. If I take 50% of your assets and tell you there’s a 20% chance you’ll have more than your initial assets in 30 years but it’s far from certain. Is that a loss to you? I sure hope so, because your assets are only worth 50% of what they were - doesn’t matter if you sell them or not.

That doesn’t mean that anyone should panic or sell if they’re down a bit, especially when investing in blue chips or ETFs. Prices fluctuate, that’s normal. But just keep in mind that after losing 50%, your stock price needs to increase by 100% just to break even.

3 Likes

True and that is why I said you must think do you have faith in the future. Always selling when down would also be a very bad move. As some others have said before on here, I agree it is best to keep if you have faith in it going up today onwards.

You only realise the gain/losses after you sell so it works both ways.

2 Likes
1 Like

This is good to hear:

Darktrace is on track to enter the FTSE 250 following its successful IPO.

An announcement on the quarterly FTSE reshuffle is due on 1st September, based on closing prices from 31st August, according to a Share Cast report.

source

2 Likes
3 Likes

Bah, was just about to post this. Had the link copied and everything.

2 Likes

Finally some good news

Sounds encouraging.

And they just got upgraded to the FTSE250, effective from September 20th

5 Likes

Past few days are looking good!

4 Likes

Back in the green finally!

2 Likes