Deliveroo 🍔🍕🛵 - £ROO - Share Chat

Hedge funds probably don’t care about workers’ rights indeed but it’s good that they are staying clear of Deliveroo.
AFAIK (but if there is a deliveroo driver o here correct me) is that all drivers in the neighbourhood get a signal and the first one to accept gets the job.
On flexibility: to make a living out of it, you need to basically work fulltime for them. You can’t do just one hour a day or so. Also, if you refuse jobs, you get a lower rating and eventually Deliveroo closes your account. (same with Uber).
The drivers don’t compete on price (maybe JustEat, Ubereats and Deliveroo on a higher level) but with so many available workers, Deliveroo can afford to keep the prices down.

1 Like

I don’t dispute any of that. I don’t believe though that everyone delivering for Deliveroo wants to make a full-time living out of this kind of work. I imagine many people working on these platforms sign-up with Deliveroo, Uber Eats and others, make themselves available and work for a few hours at a time. Some likely have a part-time job and see this as a nice way to top up their earnings.

I appreciate that not everyone is in a position where they can work a few hours a day during relatively high demand times and be content, but I imagine some are. I absolutely get that some want guaranteed hours, but I don’t agree with the “everyone wants to work full-time and is being taken advantage of by the company” narrative some in the press are pushing. There’s usually a middle ground between the horror story reports of £2 an hour and the everything-is-rosy £13 an hour PR put out by the company.

1 Like

Also definitely a factor!

I don’t think that’s cynical but the two points are not mutually exclusive. It’s precisely this regulatory risk that investors will consider when looking to allocate, and why if you’re a hedge fund, you’re willing to bet against the success of this business. Another important and related point is the rep risk that many bluechip pension fund and asset managers will be acutely attuned to given the prominence of ESG in deciding where and how to invest. Is it a direct rejection of a particular economic orthodoxy? Doubtful, but it is a reflection of these risks, and if the effect is that model evolves to be more equitable, that’s fine by me.

2 Likes

Last mile autonomous delivery will be such a huge twist for this sector. It also solves the labor issues and improves profitability. Will happen in our lifetime. :popcorn::cup_with_straw:

3 Likes

:heart_eyes: Starship, hi!

https://www.starship.xyz/

2 Likes

Yeah, I think starship would be way better than Deliveroo. Unfortunately, that will require a shift away from carcentric cities. I am afraid that in very dense cities, the robot will get smashed between the people. Also, I am afraid that there will be vandalism. Sadly enough, the Mobike bike sharing in Manchester was withdrawn because of vandalism (and other factors).

1 Like

To DCA or not DCA on unconditional trading?
Once bitten, twice shy?
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me?
Or do a damage limitation average down, on retracement do a large dump like last night’s bad takeaway and chalk it up to a bad experience and a lesson learned?
A new phrase to add to the above - treat IPOs like yellow snow.
:thinking::poop:

1 Like

£ROO has now started unconditional trading, which means you can hold the stock in your ISA and SIPP.

3 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

It isn’t. Please search, as this has been covered a lot here on the forums.

3 Likes

I’m still waiting to hear from Freetrade with regards to how they intend on handling that customers who purchased £ROO shares early on last Wednesday were incorrectly not charged stamp duty on the transaction.

I raised this via the app last Wednesday, was told we would be contacted “very soon”, and the conversation then closed.

1 Like

I’m quite sure that if you search the forum, you’ll find it’s been discussed. This thread is about ROO, not transferring shares from Primary Bid.

1 Like

How come on LSE it trades for 1000x the price compared to the apps Stock? DELIVEROO HOLDINGS PLC ROO Stock | London Stock Exchange

The stock is listed in GBX, which means it’s displayed in pence - this is what the LSE, Google, and others will show you.

The app displays everything in GBP, i.e. in whole pounds.

4 Likes

Ahhh I see. Thanks Dan :slight_smile:

Out of curiosity, what other factors?

Several reasons:

• The city wasn’t dense enough like London so they had not enough traffic.
  • They slowly decreased their user zone so you could only really use it in the city centre. Example: Everything south of Witworth park was out of the zone so students and residents from there could not use it. I was just outside the zone so it was easier for me to take the bus rather than search for an available bike.
  • because the bikes did not have to be put in a bay, people often kept a bike in their yard. So it would show up as nearby and available, only to be locked inside one’s home.
    The bicycles were better than the heavy London bikes though: much lighter and a proper cycling experience. But it costs time and money to build up a network and the company lacked the resources or longterm vision.

Thanks. I am a bike rider myself in Manchester, so it did not really affect me when they left. But it was nice seeing more people getting into the habit of cycling instead of driving.