Did I complete the W-8ben form?

Was this form something that we signed when we first signed up for the app? Just asking because I don’t remember this and I’m already buying US stocks through the app.

I assume that I have completed the form because I recently received a dividend and the Withholding tax was 15% as opposed to 30% rate which you pay if you haven’t submitted the form. (How to reclaim withholding tax on foreign dividends – The International Investor)

Did you start using the app before or after US stocks were available?

Yes, I started using the app in October 2018, and just read that US stocks were added this January. Do you know if the form was added to the signup process the same time US stocks were added?

No idea but presume it was. For accounts opened before that you will have had to fill in the form before you were able to buy your first US stock.It was in the profile section and was just check a few boxes, took seconds to do

1 Like

Ok, thanks. Maybe I did it! I don’t remember, I think I’ll message the Freetrade team to check about this.

1 Like

If you have access to the US stocks, you must have done it. To be fair, the form took me 3 seconds to fill, hence it’s understandable you won’t remember when things get done so smoothly :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Haha, it’s too smooth

3 Likes

Sorry, I am still pretty new with investing, but I wanted to double check that after filling the W-8BEN form when dividends, or gains are received from your USA shares (selling them too) the money received in your account is after taxes?or you have to pay them on your own?

1 Like

The money received is after taxes. Here’s my latest dividend email notification:

1 Like

Thank you so much. It puts my mind at ease.

1 Like