Does this ISA plan make sense?

I definitely agree that risk profile is a personal choice and I think this fits me for the moment. After a year or two I’ll examine the split again.

If anyone is interested, I plugged my split into Curvo’s Backtesting tool. I’m not sure now accurate this is as it’s Euro-based and I’ve tweaked the funds slightly so that the historic data covers the 2008 crash. Since 2006 it would have returned 7.3% compared to 8.4% for MSCI World, with a less risky Sharpe ratio. I’d be happy with that for the next decade!

https://backtest.curvo.eu/compare?portfolios=NoIgCgNghgdgBARjgWjgFQO4FMoGssAmcAMgPYwDmWATiADTCgCSAogAxsBCALMQKwBNAJwAOAMz02AOjEBdBiFYdOAgQAkAygEUAbAHZJUgEzzm7Lr0EBhBCMMJTi8zwByAETE62R%2B46VcEADEALQ0rbgM6aQcFf04g0LE%2BNl9Y5zFAkQQAaR0%2BQzYhIuKS0pFZCqA%2C%20NoIgsgygwgkgBAdQPYCcA2ATEAaYoAyAqgIwDsAHMQKwAsxZAnDsQLptA

Have you forgotten that paying into a pension gives you tax relief added to your invest?

1 Like

The investment trust sector tends to do quite well when it comes to alternatives, the closed-end structure is very beneficial. The following is a totally biased choice as I hold them:

• TR Property Investment (TRY)
  • Foresight Forestry (FSF)
  • Hipgnosis Songs (SONG)
  • Renewables Infrastructure (TRIG)
  • International Public (INPP)

The infrastructure sector and renewables have quite a few options now available, have a look, you might find something suitable. The AIC’s website is good start: AIC-sectors.

Some of these are rather defensive and have done much better lately than bonds.

2 Likes

No, I haven’t forgotten that and I am keeping up payments into my work pension. However for a couple of personal reasons I would like to be able to access the money I’m putting away before I am 55 should I need/want to.

Interesting… bonds haven’t been going well so the idea of buying into alternative areas is attractive. Owning a bit of the rights to a bunch of songs is kind of fun too!

I’d worry about whether these are diversified or large enough. Do you know now these differ from ETFs?

You should be able to find out how they differ here: https://freetrade.io/learn/investment-trusts-explained

2 Likes