Megathread - Crowdfunding

Chip shared this in the campaign. I remember it from an early campaign and it has the old Revolut logo. They were around 150 during this latest campaign (now 75).

It’s a small part of the raise, but another stretch as the wording really doesn’t fit with a picture from 3 years ago I.e. pre covid.

1 Like

I’m just curious what makes you say that Chip are kicking Plum’s bum at the moment? Thanks!

With all these noise and claims from Chip and other savings app, I wonder why Money Dashboard kept winning the Best Personal Finance App in the British Bank Awards (2017, 2018, 2020, 2021)?

1 Like

2019 was very important

1 Like

mind to share their pitch deck, i missed it

I was talking specifically about the money raised. The answers from Plum regarding customer numbers is astoundingly vague to say the least. They don’t have the licences to operate in the EU either,but are almost making out they are available in Spain etc.

1 Like

I find that very strange also,I invested in MD about 2 years ago. The updates you get are few and far between,they just seem to trudge along. I think the new Neon App release has been a massive challenge for them,it has been very difficult running two apps at the same time Classic & Neon

1 Like

Anyone got any opinion on Renterz? - Redirecting to /login?redirect_to=L2NvbXBhbmllcy9yZW50ZXJ6L3BpdGNoZXMvYlhkZ3pi

I personally stay away from the property market. It’s a jungle!!

1 Like

I stay away from anything that has a z instead of an s in the name; it’s usually all they have.

15 Likes

Both @RumpelStiltSkin & @lizmcp have summed this up perfectly. Scroll up a bit and someone else asked about it. I don’t like the fact they’re appealing to renters when the revenue is generated by landlords.

This is a very good point

does anybody have an update on when Freetrade plans their crowdfund?

Thanks @RumpelStiltSkin

I found a review of MD published just yesterday. Seems positive for MD. I wonder how many users they have at the moment.

2 Likes

For people who invested in Plum for this round. Please read the employee reviews on Glassdoor. Not implying any decision, do your own diligence and apply judgement when investing your hard-earned money.

Yes thats important, but you should also critically evaluate each opinion. If I read all glassdoor reviews of Revolut I would have definitely missed early crowdfunding round.

1 Like

Hello people of the forum. I have recently been baffled by EIS tax relief. I assumed that should I be lucky enough to sell shares that are EIS eligible, providing I have held those shares for 3 years, I should not have to pay capital gains tax. However, I’ve recently looked into it and it seems that you need to have “received EIS Income Tax relief in full on the whole of your subscriptions for the EIS shares and none of the Income Tax relief must have been withdrawn” in order to receive capital gains tax relief (see link at bottom).

Does this mean I have to take some kind of action to receive capital gains tax relief if I eventually sell EIS eligible shares? I made my investment in 2019, is it still possible to take whatever action I need to take? Or, am I destined to miss out on capital gains tax relief? I know I could defer by putting into another EIS company but this does not appeal to me.

2 Likes

As far as I’m aware, you’ll need to claim the EIS relief. So go through the process of getting your 30% back, wait 3 years and then you’ll be exempt.

I could be well off because I haven’t even reached an opportunity to sell yet

Edit;
I think you have 5 years after the investment to claim back the EIS relief

You just need to submit an HMRC online tax return to claim the 30% tax back on the total investment. You should have received a EIS form from the company you bought shares of. You don’t need to claim in the year you bought them and you can carry it forward but you need to check how far. It a little bit of effort if you don’t already submit a tax return and just use PAYE but you at least get some money back for it :slightly_smiling_face:

No need to do self-assessment just to claim EIS. If you’re PAYE just send back the EIS form.

1 Like