Ethereum - Crypto Chat

$300,000,000 a pizza or over half way to being a billionaire for a quick bite :joy:

1 Like

I love ETH and proof of stake. Anyone heard about proof of coverage and Helium? I would like to know your thoughts :thought_balloon:

I recently order an hotspot/miner but waiting list are insane. Expected delivery is mid September. On eBay pre-order x10 the manufacturers price.

I think Eth has a really good year ahead, but I sold 25% of my holding yesterday at £2530.

I intended on taking profits at £3500… but my crypto portfolio has had a crazy year and I wanted to lock in some of that profit (I sold some BTC & XTZ too).

I’m excited to see what happens with Ethereum as it moves to a deflationary asset later in the year, this could be a catalyst to some explosive growth :eyes:

If anyone hasn’t checked out the changes EIP-1559 will bring it’s well worth a read :grin:

I think this is the problem with most systems, they effectively become Proof of Waste.

The asset price rises until it becomes profitable to burn a truck load of coal / destroy a bunch of SSDs / acquire a load of wifi points until equilibrium is reached and you basically have to generate ~$99 of ewaste/CO2 to get $100 of the asset.

3 Likes

I’m completely regretting selling ~40 ETH back in November, but I’d already achieved 300% growth after hanging on for a year, which was my target. Thank god I didn’t sell it all. If I’d have hodled until now it would be worth in excess of £200,000 though. Major regret. I knew I’d have sold it at other price targets though, so blah. Happy with the £90kish I’m sitting on today and positive about the future. Hopefully it doesn’t crash.

8 Likes

There is very little waste associated with proof of coverage (if compared with other method) plus it has a real world utility/application.

But I get your point, greed and speculation have always been a peculiar part of human history. You can see in cryptocurrencies and in anything else that humans do. Haters are gonna hate.

1 Like

You might want to consider running an ETH validator node ?

Thanks, it’s actually something I’ve been interested in. Currently, the rates I am earning on Crypto.com Earn are higher than the 2.0 payout. But if the rate dips, I’ll look into getting one set up.

I agree its probably better than others in that it may add some utility, but in general it feels like it might go the same way as Proof of Storage, which aimed to address the insane energy demands of Proof of Work, but instead just resulted in thousands of dead drives.

Lets imagine a world where Helium became bigger than bitcoin and it was very lucrative to provide coverage. People might place thousands of access points across areas of barren land to gain the rewards, offering no value at all - that’s just waste.

Is it more ridiculous to cover an area of desert the size of a nation in wifi vs burning energy equivalent to a developed nation? Not really - but both are pretty silly.

As voting systems go ownership just seems much better, that’s how it (generally) works with shareholders voting. When voting for a CEO we look for 51% of the shares owned, not 51% of tonnes of coal burned, SSDs smashed or land area of Antarctica covered in wifi.

1 Like

I agree, for sure there will some unnecessary speculation if it becomes big as Bitcoin. At the same time I do not think outdoor hotspots are resilient enough to survive in antartica or in desert. Plus you need to be attached to a wifi for the hotspot to work and to be profitable hotspots need to be place at least 300-500 meters apart.

On the flip side helium could aid to bring coverage to area hard to reach.

Not sure I get the comparison with shareholder voting (sorry I am quite exhausted- I have been working on a piece of writing during the night). But does really matter choosing the ceo if the company is building rockets, fracking or polluting the world for profit?

The purpose of voting systems in crypto is to determine the consensus of the network. In general this is some kind of Proof of Waste. The network expended this much resource, if you want to disagree you need to expend 51% to out-vote us. This works well because it’s very hard/expensive for a bad actor to take a majority, but obviously is incredibly wasteful.

My point was that we have a voting system to determine consensus already, which is shareholder voting, the corollary of which is Proof of Stake. The choice of CEO was just an example of decision that is made using this approach.

1 Like

On a ~$20 transaction :man_facepalming: Madness

That’s got to be an overhead added,

How do I tell?

Also just quoted again and now it’s slightly cheaper

you should be able to adjust the gas fees depending on the time you are willing to wait

Check out this link - this tells you what you should be paying
https://ethgasstation.info/

Can’t see a way to do in MetaMask

Still gassed for a $20 transaction but getting better

For a $20 dollar transaction I don’t think gas fees will go low enough for a long term

1 Like

One of my better choices :sweat_smile:

3 Likes