☑ [Feature Request 🔧] Adding AIM-listed stocks

Thanks - very helpful!

We need more AIM listed companies on this app for those looking to invest in/trade cheaper stocks. There have not been any new penny stocks added for a long time now. I think the community would appreciate some cheaper additions.

1 Like

Thought AIM stocks were off the FT menu but I see Draper Esprit plc now available which is listed on AIM. So why this AIM stock and not others?

Problem with a lot of AIM stocks is the buy and sell price spread is often quite wide. So at the moment the price you are quoting me to sell the holding is 485p but the actual market sell price is 476p. The former is the buy price so inaccurate pricing data is being given on the platform so there is a risk of your clients making bad decisions based on the information provided.

1 Like

We’re still adding to our stock universe and we’d like to keep adding AIM stocks, as long as they have sufficient liquidity. We also offer Fever Tree, Asos & Boohoo.com at the moment, from the AIM market.

The prices in the app are ‘indicative’ so they’re there to give a rough indication of the price and won’t necessarily be the price that you pay when your place an order. When you do, we use the live market price at the time. We display the ‘mid’ price in the app.

Feel free to ask if you have any more questions :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I recently bought some AIM shares through Degiro, and afterwards I checked the transactions on the exchange itself. The market maker made 4% off my trade, which I thought was outrageous, but what can you do?

I don’t think there’s much that can be done except for taking extra care when investing in AIM stocks and perhaps thinking longer term

2 Likes

I see the two good reasons for AIM stock as:

The long term growth potential. In which case the spread should become irrelevant as you should expect multiple times return or total loss.

The second reason is for Business Relief eg exempt from IHT after two years which is worth 40%. Which should make the transaction charges mute.

1 Like

I am talking about the fact that incorrect info is being provided on the app. I am told that my Draper shares are worth 520p but if I actually sold them I would only get 502p. If I own 1000 shares the valuation given would be incorrect by £180

It’s pretty standard to use the Mid price for listed stocks. The market has two lists of unexecuted trade. One is buys and one is sells, everyone who wants to buy is prepared to pay less than everyone who wants to sell is willing to sell for. The mid price is in between the highest sell and lowest buy. As you said the spread is high on this type of stock.

If you sell at Best then you basically accept the highest prices of the existing unexecuted deals. If you do a limit order at the mid price instead you will just join the list of sellers in the unexecuted trade list. The mid price will shift down slightly or a lot as a result.

To show the bid price you would basically have to get a quote from the market for each stock. Which would only be valid for several seconds. I don’t know whether the exchange charges for quotes or what but I would think there is good reason why stockbroker web services don’t just do this as standard.

1 Like

A good proportion of ISA investors in the UK primarily invest in AIM stocks.
In fact I would expect if you have access to every ISA millionaire account you would find 0 that have not invested in AIM stocks.
The growth and potential for these smaller companies is far greater then in the larger companies.

I really hope freetrade changes it’s mind over AIM stocks and prioritises having every company on the AIM and UK main markets to entice the higher net worth customers.

13 Likes

Hope some AIM stocks arrive with all these new batches!

6 Likes

Aim stocks should definetly be in more abundance on FT. You state that it encourages day traders. Your platform is not responsive enough to encourage any serious day traders. The price updates are far too slow and the prices stated are often wildly different to those that are traded. What it does encourage is investors doing their own research into new start up companies that may or may not become a great success. You already have some Aim market companies so unsure your point on only encouraging long term investors. Two examples are GGP and EUA which will have made many of your investors very rich. All we are asking for is more opportunities like this by widening your scope with Aim listed companies.

8 Likes

Hi David

We’re working hard on expanding the number of AIM stocks that are available and we’re hoping to provide some updates on how we will be doing this shortly.

Alex

9 Likes

That is great that you have made a turnaround from your position made on this thread from last year. I look forward to seeing the additions from the AIM market hopefully in the not too distant future.

5 Likes

AIM stocks can be an important asset class for private investors. As Warren Buffet says, the worst thing about being a large fund manager is that he can’t trade small caps

2 Likes

Would be great to get an update this week :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

#ODX
#ECR
#AVCT
#GUN
#COBR
#SYME
#DDDD
#UFO
#THR
#KEF
#EVE
#VAST
#PXC
#EEE

Just to name a few

4 Likes

Ilika [IKA] - Battery tech, IIOT, med tech and EV solutions https://www.ilika.com/
Vianet Group [VNET] - IOT solutions https://vianetplc.com/

Makings of a multibagger: An Analysis of the Best Performing Stocks over the Past 5 Years.
Only the Nasdaq contained more of best performing multibaggers then the AIM.
Nasdaq 21%
AIM 13%

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5aaacb57506fbe4636414126/t/5f5ba8c6bba8c27b79d66af7/1599842551653/Conclusion+Deck-+Makings+of+a+MultiBagger_compressed+(1).pdf

1 Like

Is there are a way to view all the AIM stocks available on Freetrade? I tried searching for aim within the app, hoping to see a filtered view, but nothing came up. Is it possible to add this in?

2 Likes