☑ [Feature Request 🔧] Adding AIM-listed stocks

I didn’t even think that deep into it, I’m just looking to do some fun ‘trading’ (gambling) with a few hundred pounds, ideally without paying fees/tax.

US stocks do not have any tax on purchasing (equivalent to Stamp Duty Reserve Tax) but there is a 15% witholding tax on dividends received (thanks to Freetrade’s W-8BEN form, otherwise it would have been 30%!), which is paid before you get the dividends so you do not need to worry about it.

8 Likes

Good to know - thanks Vlad

1 Like

Does anyone know if there’s a good FTSE AIM ETF anywhere?

The nearest I can see is the iShares MSCI UK Small Cap UCITS ETF however that is still LSE based.

4 Likes

Do any of our orders get executed by darkpools like it’s being claimed by robinh**d?
Plus why should you care what type of trader one chooses to be as long as they’re using the platform?

No, all of our trades are carried out via the RSP network & reported to the LSE :innocent:

I wouldn’t want to disappoint anyone who’s not using our service for long term investing & might want us to build functionality that wouldn’t be useful for investors because we won’t. But if you’re happy, we’re happy!

1 Like

There will be practical challenges with introducing AIM stocks to freetrade. Liquidity is often thin and spreads are wide, so a daily ‘large’ market order at 4pm is likely to be disadvantaged, especially when market makers catch on

2 Likes

I’d definitely like to request SOG, BVXP and GHH. All have been great to me over the years, especially GHH!

Can we have some more AIM and penny shares please. It is called free trade, not free invest. As I have a small amount of money to invest I would like some much cheaper shares. Thank you.

Have a look at the Fractional Shares feature they’re working on.

1 Like

They’ll come in time. FT is a fast developing company but it very much is still develping. It is likely you’ll see both fractional shares and many more shares to invest in the next 6 months. Some.of us have waited years to just invest at all.

3 Likes

Cheaper shares don’t necessarily mean better shares, but I must admit to using my HL LISA to load up on interesting AIM stocks like Ten Lifestyle Group, EVRH, organigram and Wey education.

The name’s a bit confusing, we’re building a service for long term investors, not traders :sweat_smile:

Here’s our plans for adding AIM stocks at the moment -

But as Zac & Ben mentioned, we will be launching fractional shares, to let you buy £5 worth of a Facebook share for example, rather than whole shares.

And once our investment platform is ready (hopefully by the end of the year), we’ll be able to add thousands more stocks :muscle:

3 Likes

I like the set up, platform & app associated with freetrade, but most of my investments involve small-cap AIM listed companies. I have no interest in investing in foreign firms if I’m honest. What are your plans for including AIM shares?

1 Like

There are a few AIM stocks available, though the only one off the top of my head is Fevertree Drinks.

I have just joined Freetrade as I am new to share dealing (but experience with funds). I am looking to buy mostly from the AIM markets, buy I cannot see many AIM shares on here. When will they be added?

4 Likes

They’ve adding the most popular ones at the moment, like Fevertree and ASOS etc. If one is popular enough they’ll add that as well. What ones were you looking for? You can request and vote for new stocks here in the community…

I haven’t heard of any plans to add the whole AIM market in the short term but I think they mentioned they’d like to add longer term

1 Like

I am looking for Joules and AB Dynamics

Under Freetrade’s current order execution setup, I would be concerned about the spread and liquidity for AIM stocks due to thinner trading volumes.

Sorry, I don’t quite understand?