☑ [Feature Request 🔧] Desktop/Web Interface

Does anyone have any info on the potential for a Freetrade webpage. This would open up Freetrade to everyone in the UK as not only do a lot of people mistrust apps some have android devices that use an outdated version so are not compatible. Any comments

FT have mentioned they will be building one, but it’s a little further down the line. The current focus is on app functionality and European expansion.

I’m curious what people distrust about apps. What is the difference between an app on your phone or an app in a web browser?

3 Likes

I think largely because an app can get more access to your machine than a browser can. If anything, I have less trust for browser apps. At least app stores know who publishes what.

1 Like

Another vote for getting a web interface. I’m fine using the app but apps don’t last very well.

Think 5 years down the line when <20% of your iOS users are still on their current handsets, Apple has dropped support and your latest update can only be used on the newest version of iOS.

The argument “oh just buy a new phone” is nonsense before anyone goes there. You should never end up in a situation where you can’t manage, access, buy or sell your shares just because you’ve not got a modern phone. It absolutely makes sense to have a web app.

11 Likes

I agree - albeit even if it were to be a more simplified version.

1 Like

Don’t forget to vote for the feature at the top of the post, it will help prioritize the request.

I appreciate that Freetrade are mobile first and I applaud the progress being made with the app… BUT having seen demos of web based apps such as M1 Finance I can’t help but think that Freetrade are forgoing a very powerful tool/platform that will please investment enthusiasts and beginners alike! The flexibility of the tools, analysis and graphical representation of the portfolios is a people pleaser and would make Freetrade the go-to out of all the zero commission competitors if you consider the combination of what you’ve done with the mobile app + a top notch web app.

9 Likes

This is a great idea! :smiley: @wasimchy

Been using FT for a week now, would really love a desktop / web version :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Don’t forget to vote for the feature, the more that do the higher it becomes on their priority list!

1 Like

I always wondered if they actually prioritise the road map based on the votes in the ideas forum… I asked this at one of the AMAs but didn’t get a response. Speaking of AMAs, on more than one occasion they said the web based app isn’t a priority yet, it’s on the back burner for now…

2 Likes

I wouldn’t want Freetrade to prioritise features based solely on the views of the community. That would be irrational. Freetrade needs to concentrate on growth, and that means making a product that’s better for current consumers AND new consumers (that won’t be on this forum).

2 Likes

I wouldn’t want Freetrade to prioritise features based solely on the views of the community. That would be irrational. Freetrade needs to concentrate on growth, and that means making a product that’s better for current consumers AND new consumers (that won’t be on this forum).

Relying on feedback alone would be completely irrational. I do know quite a few stories from my close friends when their application went from number 1 in a category with millions of downloads and 5* reviews to 1* reviews and 90% drop in downloads in a month only because they added new features 1% of active users constantly whined about.

1 Like

What I meant by it was if people vote for a feature when they come to consider adding non-essential things this will be higher up the pecking order, I know it is better to improve what we have rather than all hands on deck for this feature, this is not I was suggesting.

2 Likes

It would be great if the desktop web version could have a more advanced dashboard ( like trading 212 does). Freetrade mobile simplicity is a good entry point for who is starting to trade (like myself). But its simplicity soon becomes too simplistic, as the user needs to have better data, keep track of the stocks, or need to organize when to buy or sell things.

the mobile only approach hides a false simplicity. Currently I need to recur to other online services or to create old style spreadsheets to keep track of things, which are far from ideal.

My portfolio is currently small but as it grows, freetrade will become a less viable tool.

Thanks!

3 Likes

Would love a desktop version, I’m using other apps to track my watchlists and positions during the day at my desk so a web based dashboard or Mac app would be huge!

5 Likes

A desktop version will complement nicely the app. Whilst working, one can always take a small break to do some small investing activities whilst looking at the same screen using the same keyboard, hence less hassles.

2 Likes

Hopefully this gets moved up the ‘to do’ list with SIPPs coming on board - my reasoning being that SIPP transfers are quite likely to be large valued portfolios and some people from legacy providers may not want to manage them via app only.

11 Likes

Another comment to bump this to the top of the pile and to say that I’ve just voted for this too. I think the app has some great features (and always improving) but having the ability to use a webapp feels pretty important too.