[Feature Request 🔧] Lifetime ISA (LISA) 👶🏻👵🏾

Maybe they just don’t know what is the best pricing model for this?

Or maybe there’s a misunderstanding of the name and they’re thinking that we should WAIT a lifetime for this ISA product to become available…

12 Likes

Voted. Hopefully, Freetrade can offer a Lisa at some point in the new tax year. I’d love to be able to switch mine and have all my accounts under one roof.

2 Likes

I always think it’s weird when people tag the two top staff at Freetrade with a personal post on the forum but here goes…

@Viktor @adam I just deposited my entire 2021/22 LISA allowance to AJ Bell in one lump sum. This is money I wanted to deposit into Freetrade.

I’ll likely do the same thing for the coming tax year, keep it all ringfenced until the last minute before having to give it to AJ Bell… just in the hope that Freetrade have LISAs and LISA transfers in place before April 5th 2023!

I don’t know if you guys will see this message but yelling/mooing into the ether makes me feel better! Besides, there could be plenty more people like me itching to give LISA allowances to Freetrade. Take care and thanks for the recent surge of development on FT!

19 Likes

I would also put my LISA with FreeTrade if given the chance. AJ Bell are currently costing me £60 per year, which doesn’t sound like much, but it’s 6% of the LISA bonus! Fingers crossed 22/23 is the year.

1 Like

There are many of us in the same boat here.

In my case it’s HL - not sure why this isn’t getting more attention.

2 Likes

In my case it also means that I’m no longer saving anything to Freetrade as filling my LISA is my priority in order to get that dumb £1000 house price subsidy ‘bonus’, kindly provided by taxpayers (including the lowest income workers).

Hey, that turned into an unexpected rant. What I meant was that I’m currently unable to afford to save anything into Freetrade except the occasional £10 here and there when I get a chance. I’ve ditched Plus, I might end up ditching the ISA subscription too. And that sucks - I want to support Freetrade

2 Likes

I actually stopped contributing to my LISA. I concluded by the time I had saved up enough the type of property I want will have drifted over the cap. £450,000 2017 pounds when the LISA was introduced is worth about £550,000 in 2022. But the cap is not house price or inflation linked so it just stays where it is.

2 Likes

Luckily I’m in the north where decades of deindustrialisation and a total lack of infrastructure spending mean that the kind of houses I can imagine affording don’t come close to that amount AND if I use my LISA for retirement instead, then I’m likely to die younger and won’t have to stretch the cash out for as many years.

When life gives you lemons…

4 Likes

Yeah that’s a big improvement of the LISA over the old Help To Buy ISA. It had a seperate £250,000 limit for outside of London. It’s good they scrapped it.

Just top up my L.ISA. I was hoping to have it with Freetrade but never mind. Hopefully I’ll be buying a house in a year or two so keeping my eyes peeled for updates

3 Likes

For me I stopped just in time to not go over 10% for a deposit and have free cash available for other costs. Worth remembering as well.

Just my own opinion. But I wonder if it’s to do with a mix of small number of accounts it would generate and the additional overhead it would need to manage LISAs.

It seems freetrade currently have to be fairly specific in how they priorities development (still no reporting :frowning: ). They’ve been focused as far as I can tell largely on bigger revenue generating features that can go out to almost all accounts. Share lending, europe expansion etc.

Handling LISA withdrawals for example adds a unique customer service overhead for an account that probably not many people have.

1 Like

Hi @Eden - please can you clarify that? Do you just not want to put down more than 10% for mortgage reasons etc or is there a LISA limit that I was unaware of?

Cheers :slight_smile:

No LISA limitation. I just wanted to get a house quicker and with low interest rates it made more sense to put down just 10% for a deposit so I’d have money spare for other costs.

If I was looking at 15% or even 20% deposits I wouldn’t be able to buy this year for example.

I was keen to fill up the LISA that I also almost didn’t consider the amount of free cash I’d need for non deposit costs. Buying a new build so it worked out well, LISA is almost entirely going to the deposit and free cash for fees and any flooring etc

1 Like

Hopefully Freetrade will offer a nice transfer bonus when they do accept LISAs.

I for one would instantly transfer to Plus if it was a requirement to be able to open a LISA as it would still save me a tidy sum compared to what I’m paying now.

Case of Freetrade weighing up the additional admin duties and development for the LISA compared to where they are focusing now with EU expansion / crypto / web interface.

Confident that one day we will get what we want.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s possible that we are just too small a customer base for the feature.

Although I would argue, it’s a very easy way to move users away from competitors, whom are currently forced to park money with providers they would prefer not to.

Such users, if not already Freetrade users, may end up using other features and accounts in the future following a migration.

Another one here waiting for a Freetrade LISA. Guys, it’s a lot of money of you, there will be a sudden pop at the AUM when you do it, please keep us on the loop.

1 Like

This is correct, funds can only be requested by a solicitor for a house purchase. This would require a team with existing knowledge of how to handle this otherwise it would cause a huge amount of stress. This knowledge while vital wouldn’t be called upon very often.

An entire team?! A few posts up and people were saying that hardly anyone had LISAs and you’ve said the knowledge to handle LISA cashouts wouldn’t be called upon very often.

If all that was true then it sounds more like they could have a simple process for handling it or…

computer-drinking

I’m sure the bigwigs at Freetrade are weighing up all the costs involved, the benefits (or lack thereof) of having new LISA customers and their balances contributing to FT’s AUM figure… and are simply not prioritising it because there are quicker wins in more lucrative areas right now.

I just wish there was a timescale for it :frowning: For all we know, starting operations in Transnistria might be higher up the list than offering LISAs/LISA transfers.

1 Like

A team in this case would be a section of the great account management team - it could just be a few people. The processing of the 25% bonus on a monthly basis, working with HMRC, dealing with withdrawals via solicitors all require skills they don’t currently have. You’re 100% on the cost benefit equation in my opinion.

They’d have my 1 JISA (soon to be two) on the waitlist the second they open it.