Filters in Discover are now available for everyone 🎚

A laudable goal. Not sure in this case it’s going to work because the expansion is just as confusing. Is there no other term you could use which is a single word?

How about just Funds as opposed to Stocks that would be nice and clear (certainly clearer than what you have)? That or indexes would be fine IMO. Yes you don’t include traditional funds (i.e. those that take days to sell), but these ETFs are the only funds you do offer, so it is accurate
 I’d be fine with Funds, Indexes or ETFs, but that big scary term that no-one will know what it is seems the worst of both worlds to me, and is not having the intended effect (avoiding complicated jargon).

3 Likes

May be confused with Mutual Funds though

When I google “index”, I get the information on indexes from books, nothing related to investing.

ETF, on the other hand, gives you the most relevant definitions immediately and is only three characters to type :slight_smile:

We’ll have to agree to disagree here :stuck_out_tongue: It’s definitely a common term that experienced investors would understand but it’s not a term that’s used in everyday language by people who don’t invest.

Which is why we’ll be adding this to the app soon.

please ignore the wording, that’s not the final version

‘Read more’ will be a link to a blog post explaining ETFs.

8 Likes

People would need to know if it was something they wanted to google. As someone fairly new to all this, seeing the full name would make me more likely to look than an acronym. ETF could be anything.

1 Like

Thanks! A single word would be ideal.

That’s why we didn’t go for “funds”, we think it’s better to be precise, even if we’re using an unfamiliar term.

1 Like

How exactly will the “What are index ETFs” banner work? Is it going going the be static from the beginning until you close it? Only asking because it was not in the testing version.

I understand that the acronym is not the path Freetrade will be taking, but since you showed the banner, would it not look nicer to have “ETF” as a category with “What are Index Exchange Traded Funds” in the banner below? That way you raise a question of “what is an ETF” for those who are unaware, and immediately answer it in the banner below.

1 Like

The filters are still a work in progress and I see what you mean, I’ll pass the suggestion on.

1 Like

To be fair, I didn’t know what an ETF was until I got Freetrade and I don’t think I have been living in a box or am ‘uneducated’. Think it’s good to leave it in full

3 Likes

Thanks, very much appreciated! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Another thing to consider is should Bonds have their own category rather than being under the Exchange Traded Fund category? I know Bonds available on Freetrade are via ETF’s but my thinking is people might be searching specifically for Bonds, so get them to where they want to go quicker.

1 Like

I understand the desire to not use acronyms and jargon. That’s the right approach. However I think this would be better solved with an in-app “Acronym dictionary” for newbie investors. You could point people to this when they first join the app and prompt them to go there if they don’t understand an acronym. Exchange Traded Fund means very little to a novice and adds very little context over “ETF”.

4 Likes

That was my first thought as well but they’re not really bonds in the truest sense of the term

In fact if you want to make Exchange Traded Funds genuinely simple. Call the section Funds

1 Like

I am a big fan but expand them a little more

Maybe one based on price per share etc.

Yeah, it’s a fair point, guess it depends if how rigid it’s all meant to be. Just remembered there’s also a couple of Exchange Traded Commodities in the Exchange Traded Fund category :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

Yeah, I’m glad I don’t have to decide all this stuff :joy:

2 Likes

I was initially confused seeing Exchange Traded Funds, until my brain kicked in and saw the first letters and figured it meant ETF. I couldn’t understand why ETF wasn’t used, makes no sense to me. The headings would be balanced and more filters would fit the space. Doing a search for either option gets to the same explanation! Seems like a no-brainier to me.

6 Likes

Hey all! All of the feedback here has been amazing and so with today’s app releases (iOS 2.4.6 and Android 1.0.3701) we’ve refined our quick filters. We’ve shortened “Exchange Traded Funds” to “ETFs” and added split the ETF filter to “Index ETFs” and “Bond ETFs”. We hope that this will help you find the funds that you’re looking for faster. We’ll keep working on improving our current features as well as build and ship tools to help you make smarter, better-informed investing decisions. :relaxed:

10 Likes

We’ve shortened “Exchange Traded Funds” to “ETFs” and added split the ETF filter to “Index ETFs” and “Bond ETFs”.

Splendid.

1 Like

Agreed, the new labels in combination with the price being shown in the discover screen has really improved the experience.

3 Likes