Financial crisis 2008

Not sure what exposure people had during the 2008 crash. I remember watching RBS stock plummeting daily. And in the US Lehman Brothers went under.

A good film Iā€™d recommend watching is Too Big to Fail. Tells the story of how the US banking sector went into meltdown.

2 Likes

I didnā€™t invest at the time, but The Big Short is one of my favourite books.

1 Like

Yes thatā€™s a great book/ film too. is a good read. The Debt Generation is a great read too.

Inside job by Matt Daemon.

My question is could the 2008 happen again or are there things in place to stop this?

2008 wonā€™t happen again, in so far as the next crash / correction will likely be caused by different things.

ā€œHistory doesnā€™t repeat itself, but it rhymesā€ - Mark Twain.

So thereā€™s things in place that will stop the same thing happening again.?

Absolutely market crashes are semi regular events. Youā€™ll likely not know the problem until you do, at which point itā€™ll likely be too late to do anything about it.

The reason 2008 was so bad is the bank themselves couldnā€™t preform their basic function of lending money. The next scandal or crash could be tomorrow or it could be a generation away. A diverse portfolio invested over many years is your best armour.

4 Likes

I think ā€œnarrated by Matt Damonā€ is more accurate! Itā€™s a fantastic documentary though.

Weā€™ll no doubt see another big crash in the future, but how it manifests itself is another question. Highly unlikely itā€™ll be a carbon copy of 2008, but one not-too-unrealistic scenario is if we have a multi-year crypto bull market, where all traditional finance institutions get involved using huge leverage, then we see a 50% drawdown in a single day (which has happened multiple times), it could have extremely dire consequences on all asset classes.