Fractions for all šŸ°

In before you inevitably get referred to comms reloaded:

Whilst Iā€™d be one of the first to express frustration on progress compared to the plan, given the current circumstances, can we just cut them a little slack?

Based on the current crowdsourced user numbers, it looks like thereā€™s a significant increase in user sign ups which will put pressure on the team in terms of servicing clients, especially in extremely volatile markets when a lot of these new customers are likely first time investors, with lots of questions about pricing, rejected orders, etc, etc.

Combine that with the fact the team is relatively small and relatively new with a rapidly changing situation, management will need to make sure business continuity is front and centre on the priority list.

Remember, this is very much not business as usual.

18 Likes

Completely agree. Itā€™s a tough time for everyone everywhere

Is there someone who looks after this forum from Freetrade or itā€™s 100% down to the forum-ers? Perhaps someone steps out and give people here a bit clarity, that would be quite helpful

1 Like

People from Freetrade are very active here. I think they try to avoid repeating themselves though. Most questions people ask have been answered in previous threads. People should be able to find them with a quick search.

2 Likes

I thinks itā€™s just being handled so wrong. If they came out and actual said, sorry it wonā€™t be until August, I wouldnā€™t be bothered at all. But right now I have to Think ;
Do I save Ā£200 to buy part of an Amazon share
Do I invest it now because itā€™s more benefitcal that waiting.
Itā€™s been a few weeks away a few too many times now and itā€™s not really fair for the people who waiting. They tweeted it again this morning! No shame at all :joy:

17 Likes

Iā€™d agree with that, I think constantly hearing ā€œA few weeksā€ is annoying people more than if they said nothing at all, and it give no information about how far away it actually is

8 Likes

Transparency is key. These are uncertain and unpredictable times, so, although I appreciate this might be delaying the release, good communication is critical. The most recent app update alluded to the fact that even though FT staff are working from home, it isnā€™t affecting their efforts to fix bugs or prepare for fractional shares implementation. What are we meant to believe? Ultimately, this comes down to company credibility and, given the struggles other brokers are having at the moment, surely this is a fantastic opportunity for FT to capitalise and increase its market share.

2 Likes

I did appreciate the email today :slight_smile: rapid user growth and shift to WFH, whilst positive, must have an impact on planned releases. Put things into perspective. Thanks @Viktor

2 Likes

I think an new estimated timeframe would be good so investors can plan around this and cause Iā€™ve been trying to convince people to come over to this platform but fractional shares is being the drawback @Viktor pleae can you give us an idea what the new launch date wil be by any chance? I promise Iā€™ll be off your back about this then lol Self Isolation got me thinking about it more.

5 Likes

If market falls more at this rates you really donā€™t need fractionals :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Iā€™m not really fan of fractionals.

1 Like

Would there still be an option to state you specifically want to buy one share? As opposed to matching your cash offer to a fraction depending on the price given

2 Likes

I am not personally bothered about fractionals, but we canā€™t forget that many people canā€™t afford a $1800 Amazon share, or that people may want to invest Ā£50 a month but prefer to buy Apple fractionals.

I think fractionals are essential for the FreeTrade overall customer proposition, but so is a much bigger stock universe.

Luckily they are working on both. A ā€œfew weeksā€ away. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10 Likes

My thinking was, the big companies are big part of all the indexes and etfs, even Vegan etf VEGN.
And its not going to kill me if I donā€™t buy those big companies in fractions.

I donā€™t own amzn, may be thatā€™s because itā€™s too big :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Would defo welcome a fractional & more stocks/ETFs ETA this weekā€¦ Considering the remote working may have impacted velocity and timelines.

6 Likes

Would fractionals be US only or UK stocks as well? I think it applies more to the former because per share price is a lot higher.

The first batch is US only. A couple of months later, UK and Europe should follow.

1 Like

Sounds great, definitely a lot of US stocks will all of a sudden become buy-able for people here. I donā€™t know the price for UK and European stocks but a glance at FTSE100, not many stocksā€™ share price is higher than Ā£100

Will fractional shares be available before the new tax year.

4 Likes

That is something I highly doubt

1 Like

I donā€™t think so.

1 Like