Frasers Group plc 👚👔 - FRAS

A controversial brand, this sports goods retailer owns brands such as Lonsdale and Slazenger, a large network of retail stores and presence in over 15 countries.

Will this man ever stop?

2 Likes

What does Mike Ashley generally do when he buys up these declining brands? Does he have a general strategy for turning them around that he applies?

1 Like

Seems like a falling knife strategy to me but the Evening Standard did a good read up at the begining of the year

1 Like

Maybe he should concentrate on Sports Direct and Newcastle United FC - making them successful before venturing into new business. The man just can’t keep out of the media.

Funny you say that, one of The Evening Standard’s theories is ‘Theory 6: the ego has landed’

Is it time to buy shares? Devils advocate

I’d say Jack Wills is probably something sports direct are missing from their portfolio. Slightly more upmarket, rather than targeting the lower end of the market with their current offerings. I doubt he would look to integrate it into the sportsdirect shops, just probably use economies of scale to decrease costs.

I’d say it’s a good purchase. He appears to be attempting to turn sportsdirect into a department store, he just kinda messed it up buying house of Fraser. Jack wills has always been popular, just likely stagnated a bit under previous owner with inexperience of further expansion which Ashley has.

1 Like

No real answer there, then!

This is probably the most blunt RNS I have seen. Its from Sports Direct related to “Goals Soccer Centres”.

1 Like

My Sports Direct share is up quite a bit. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Interesting interview with Mike Ashley:

It’s from last year, but I haven’t seen him interviewed before and he talks quite candidly.

An unlikely union here - in fashion terms, at least :handbag:

The stock has risen significantly today:

3 Likes

It says £4.39 on google?

£100m package for your son in law? Good to see Mike Ashley still doing Mike Ashley things.

If the new boss gets the share price to £15 (2.3x) Daddy-in-Law’s (to be) stake would rise from £2bn to £4.7bn. I hope he gets a good company car :wink:

Think of all the money he could not spend on Newcastle then :joy:

1 Like

Passed with 85%

If you’re bullish on retail generally Frasers have a lot of their own pies and increasingly have their fingers in other pies too.

Mike Ashley’s Frasers Group has snapped up a 29% stake in Australia’s fashion platform MySale. The Australian fashion platform helps to put global buyers in touch with sellers to Australian and New Zealand eCommerce sites.

&

Frasers increased its stake in upmarket German fashion brand Hugo Boss, holding a 4.9% stake directly and a further 26%t of stock indirectly through the sale of derivatives known as put options.

While I haven’t looked into their finances too much, I do wonder whether those pies have enough filling…

With the numbers of retail companies going out of business, I can’t help but wonder how sustainable is with all the acquisitions they are making.

1 Like