Freetrade Competitors

No its not. its relevant to any UK domiciled funds and stocks.

This shouldn’t really be a concern. And we have real world examples to show why.

In reality the 85k protection isn’t really used for your investments themselves, they aren’t disappearing. The only case where this were to likely happen is if an investment company wasn’t buying the investments at all. But that’s such an out there idea im not going to specifically address it.

The reality is your investments are held in a separate nominee company or other third party custodian, not by Freetrade. If they were to go bust, your shares don’t just disappear with them.

What is the 85k used for then? In realty it covers fees from the appointed administrators and any small shortfalls

An examples might be Beaufort Securities in which to date 99% of client assets have been returned to them. the FSCS protection covered the various fees involved in returning the assets and any shortfalls in client cash or assets.

Let put it this way, those millionaire ISA people don’t have 12 different accounts.

1 Like

That’s what I meant, hence only cash being relevant.

1 Like

Honestly I think it’s unlikely you’d lose your cash either in many scenarios. It’s the administration fees that it covers that probably really helps.

I’m also using eToro. Honestly Freetrade has a much better support service and in my opinion is much more reliable. But
 CFDs have some very big advantages and are not much riskier if we know well our purposes.

Trade Republic results

1 Like

Trading212 adding a fee for depositing

There’s no such thing as a free lunch. Every business needs to cover their overheads in some way.

Imo there’s a high chance of other charges being introduced next year by 212 for them to cover more of their overhead

7 Likes

Wow that’s quite a big move. Maybe FT could follow suit in offering paid instant transfers?

1 Like

£126 as it’s only on 18k as the first 2k is free

FT perspective still stands though. As others have said I don’t doubt T212 will add further costs at some point

1 Like

They are getting a competitive rate if it only costs them 0.7% for card payments.

Says Bank Transfers are still free. Has anyone tried Bank Transfers with them and are they quick?

1 Like

I tried and open banking transfers take seconds

1 Like

Open banking is supposed to solve this problem in its entirety.

Agreed.

" Since the launch of our Invest and ISA services, we’ve been covering all deposit fees charged by the payment providers. Typically, these fees are included in the price of the products and services that you buy. But our share dealing service is completely free and the transferred amounts have grown to billions of pounds per year. That’s why, starting from 04.01.2021 , we are introducing a lifetime limit on free deposits via all payment methods other than Bank Transfers & Instant Bank Transfers (Open Banking)."

This one was easy to surrender because of open banking, but it also means they are running out of CFD money. The FCA crypto ban they got must have hurt.

1 Like

Exactly. It’s not possible to run a great service without some fees. I think FT has got the balance right.

4 Likes

Most players are still “selling dollars for 50 cents” to grow right now, T212 included. Although they have caved and are not willing to subsidise certain account funding channels, they are still undercharging many of their services to attract customers.

It will be interesting to see how each player in the neobroker space stacks up when they’ve fully implemented a pricing/fee structure that takes them to break even. I have a feeling FT will be the cheapest when that time comes.

3 Likes

WeBull:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-12-08/robinhood-is-losing-thousands-of-day-traders-to-china-owned-webull

1 Like

TradeRepublic are getting huge.

And they’re getting into crypto, they just hired one of the product managers from Coinbase

True

Already do

The company charges €1 per order in fees. That’s whether one has bought a single share worth €100 or allocated €10,000 on an ETF, Tech Crunch writes.

According to Trade Republic, the company doesn’t add anything else on top of that commission. The startup allows the purchase of European shares alongside Asian or American companies, and there are 7,500 shares and ETFs on the app.

Tech Crunch notes that French users should specify that they have a foreign bank account when filing taxes, as foreign brokers don’t always send the information to tax authorities to pre-fill the reports each year.

Trade Republic raised a €62 million Series B funding round last year, which was co-led by Accel and Founder’s Fund.

https://connectingcrypto.com/2021/02/stock-trading-app-trade-republic-rolls-out-france/

1 Like

Their app is very basic right now

No fractionals, no open banking, no Apple Pay top up, the fx is built in the price so hard to see how much you are paying, stock universe is missing a lot of recent IPOs, etc

2 Likes

Halifax Share Dealing Services - Changes to our pricing

Super easy decision in asking them to close my account :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Sidebar; They have tried to make their website less corporate around share dealing but the actual account side of it is still the same. Also their Reduced Dealing Commission events remind me of offers brokers a long time ago

1 Like