Freetrade Day 1! Whoop!
tl;dr The app is lovely! Much more polished than I thought an early release would be - congrats all!
Here is some more detailed feedback. It’s intended constructively, and focuses mostly on stuff that either confused me, didn’t work or where I tried to use the app in a different way to what was maybe intended. Really happy to expand on any of it!
- Set-up / registration was painless and quick. Good job!
- On entering my NI number, the next/okay button (or whatever it is that moves you to the next screen) partially obscured some of the text - this happened quite a bit with the SE
- On the account tab, I thought that having your bank’s logo would be kinda cool (or just code 04-00-04 - it’s gonna be Monzo for most early adopters, right? )
- I found myself looking for filters on the discover tab - particularly for ETFs, or for share prices (I only transferred a tenner as an initial test and wanted to find a few cheap shares that I liked the look at - then gave up and blew most of my funds on ISF).
- Something for the future: I was wondering if I could create a virtual ETF (or something) - basically group a number of stocks, Freetrade would calculate how much it costs to buy the bundle, then execute a trade in one.
- Logging in via touch-ID is sporadic - it sometimes asks for Touch ID, but frequently reverts to passcode. There doesn’t seem to be any logic when it happens…
- On that point, I got a bit frustrated at having to authenticate every time I go back to the app - especially as I was reading up on stuff. I know this is a contentious issue for Monzo (and others), and might well be a topic of its own, but I thought I’d feed back my first take…
- I found myself trying to swipe left/right through the tabs. (I’m not sure if this has been reserved for future use elsewhere - but if it hasn’t a swipe would be a nice touch)
- Sometimes it takes a few seconds for the Discovery tab to properly populate (it shows the title and that’s it )
- I keep tapping the total on the Portfolio screen, expecting to see a breakdown a little like that on the Account tab (but including portfolio value, obvs)
- On the Account tab, I keep tapping on “Withdrawable cash” expecting to be able to withdraw it from there. The definition is nice, but isn’t what I intuitively expect to be there.
- On the Buy screen, the “Review Order” button is overlaid onto the “Instant order” text (I have a screenshot somewhere…). I think this might be a small screen buglet…
- When buying, I had lined up an extra transfer of funds in, so kinda hoped that I’d be able to rack up a purchase - and for it to fail if the funds hadn’t arrived when the buy order went to be settled.
- On money arriving, I was expecting a notification - instead I kept checking regularly, which wasn’t the end of the world, but it would have been nice to be altered when stuff happened (money arrives, orders executed etc)
- Others have spoken about the need to calculate in your head the value of shares - it’d be really cool to enter the number of shares - or for the app to calculate how many you can buy from your available funds
- I ultimately made two purchase attempts: UKDV and ISF. ISF went through okay, but UKDV failed - I found myself tapping on the item in the feed to find out why - but it just says rejected. It’d be cool to have a bit more info in app
- On the Portfolio screen, it’d be nice to tap on a stock that you own and see a chart / percentage change since you bought it - rather than the history for the stock (edit: I missed the %age change since purchase below…)
- On the same screen, I initially thought the 1D, 7D, 1M etc selector was the scale for the x axis. (I’m easily confused).
I’m sure I’ll have more thoughts over the next few days… But this is really (really) an amazing first ship. Thank you for letting me play!