Freetweb (Unofficial Freetrade Web Client)

Hey all :wave:

I’d like to share with you a project I’ve been working on. It’s an unofficial web client for the Freetrade platform.

It’s currently in private beta mode while its future is determined.

Below is a short demo video. I’d love to get your feedback and thoughts!

89 Likes

Looks great to me - can’t wait to try it :slight_smile:

That looks very much realistic. How did you achieve this? Is it just a web browser /shell component that runs the freetrade app within it?

Or did you completely redesign the entire app, because if you did that impressive.

So pleased its got the green light. Well done Buddy. I’d love FT to buy this off you but if not I think a lot of members would merrily pay a one off fee for this. :grin:

Its great to see community involved

5 Likes

Looks great but is it actually required considering we have an excellent app.

The website is built from the ground up using most of the same technologies Freetrade use. It’s not just running the mobile app in a browser. However, it connects to the same backend as the official Freetrade apps.

8 Likes

That’s pretty cool. I assume you reverse engineered the android apk to obtain the backend API endpoints and then reconstructed their app. Since you’re using their logo and your web app looks very similar to their app, did you get permission to use this? Because it looks good enough for them to want to you to take it down.

Also, would you consider making this an open source project? I’d love to collaborate on something like this. I always wanted to implement dividend reinvestment.

Edit: Why did you proxy their API with your own AWS one, how can we trust that you’re not doing something malicious.

1 Like

Like it. Great effort man! I would use this on a regular basis.

Great Work!

The reason it would be so useful to me is that I could open multiple tabs and compare stocks. I also could browse the universe while watching portfolio. I can’t do that on app. FT will have a website one day, but it would be great to have it now.

This for me shows the strength and value that a community has. Let’s hit RH hard before they can sprout while they languish around with regulators. Let’s hit them with FT Plus, SIPP, and a FT website and a ton more stocks. :sunglasses:

Do you plan on being able to buy stocks on the website version or is this view only?

10 Likes

Good questions :slight_smile:

I assume you reverse engineered the android apk to obtain the backend API endpoints and then reconstructed their app.

Essentially, that’s right.

Since you’re using their logo and your web app looks very similar to their app, did you get permission to use this?

I didn’t get their permission when I started because I wasn’t sure how far I’d take it. I’ve been in communication with Freetrade recently. Some changes would be necessary for it to come out of private beta. Part of the reason for this thread is to gauge interest before bothering with that.

Also, would you consider making this an open source project?

As you can imagine, this was a significant amount fo work. I’ve considered open sourcing it to get assistance, but I’m still undecided.

Edit: Why did you proxy their API with your own AWS one

Only the login steps are proxied, for two reasons. First is to layer on an allowlist to control access. The second is because that particular API doesn’t return CORS headers, so browsers can’t call it directly.

how can we trust that you’re not doing something malicious.

I don’t want to proxy this request and would need Freetrade to make a small change so I didn’t have to. Trust is naturally one of my main concerns with this project.

8 Likes

FT will have a website one day, but it would be great to have it now.

They will and I’m sure it will be better than anything I make. They have more resources and can change the backend. I have no intention of competing with or spoiling Freetrade’s official web client when it inevitably arrives. I just see a gap in the meantime and I’m fairly sure it’s not Freetrade’s intention to make a web app in the near future. Perhaps interest in my project could inspire them to bump it up the priority list.

Do you plan on being able to buy stocks on the website version or is this view only?

Currently, I intend it to remain read-only. The only writing I considered was adding and removing from the watchlist. I think read-only provides enough value, reduces risk, and leaves important things such as the buying/selling experience firmly in Freetrade’s control.

14 Likes

I’m salivating

4 Likes

Thanks for clarifying my answers, sounds good to me. I think what you have done is really amazing and takes a lot of hard work and dedication. I’m impressed (and I’m not impressed very easily). You could probably use this a leverage to apply at Freetrade to work on the web app version.

I totally understand your concern for not wanting to make it open source, but if you ever want another developer to help you out with it, I’m down. Assuming Freetrade approves it first.

5 Likes

@zaccharles This is awesome mate, great work!:grin:

1 Like

Yes having read only probably avoids a whole load of issues!

When is it going live? :wink:

2 Likes

That’s quite a step up from the user count spreadsheet :wink: :rofl:

Great work @zaccharles! #kudos

Edit :since you’re at it, would you mind creating a FT app that works in France :slight_smile:

6 Likes

This looks great. I’d also like to see more info on dividends. e.g. ex dividend dates, dividend yield for each stock, average dividend yield for my portfolio etc. I would also like to see the the total amount of dividends received every week/month/year. This would make it easier to keep a track of the progress of my portfolio(s).

Excellent work, looks like the real thing! Would definitely be interested in using a desktop version alongside the app.

great work - having an website for investments is so much easier. id be keen to try this out