Fuel & Gas Crisis šŸ˜±ā›½ļø

We could break our dependency on Fossil fuels very quickly by offering a tax break on EVā€™s all major manufacturers have them on the forecourt or are launching soon. The UK consumes (pre covid) 46bn litres of petrol and diesel just moving 20% - 30% of new sales could save 4bn-10bn litres which compounds every year.

Lets first tackle the low hanging fruit of those that have driveways and can adopt what is a better driving & ownership experience.

How do we fund it? Weā€™ve given Ā£250bn in tax breaks to oil drilling companies over the last 13 years so there is a start. With less demand we donā€™t need them like we used too.

4 Likes

The question is whether our electricity supply could cope with the additional demandā€¦

In energy policy there are not easy answers

Itā€™s all good weā€™ll just let our Norwegian friends shove some of their spare hydro power our way.

Once weā€™ve filled Dogger Bank (get your mind out of the gutter, snigger) with turbines and Homer Simpson has Hinckley C humming weā€™ll be in a good place to kick on. :ok_hand:t2:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/construction-of-north-sea-link-cable-completed-ahead-of-october-power-up/ar-AAL4fG2

3 Likes

I agree in a way, and in fact we had such a thing in the early days of EV. IIRC it was Ā£2500 off a BEV (full EV) and Ā£1500 off a PHEV (hybrid). However, the reality was that manufacturers just played the game and just added that amount to the relative price they sold it at elsewhere, so it didnā€™t really help sales of EVs all that much.

The upcoming ban on fossil-fuel cars by 2035, whilst still a long way off, will force manufacturers to invest in EV R&D and give them a strong signal that they wonā€™t get a return from continuing fossil fuel R&D, and so will ultimately achieve the same objective.

2 Likes

If there is a concerted effort, I donā€™t think this will be much of a problem.

We solely install smart ev chargers that can talk to each other on an estate level to fluctuate the demand, depending on levels of need so that not all chargers are drawing maximum at the same time.

There are also alot of new systems that require less than a quarter of the energy demand of a traditional house by using infrared heating in properties, coupled with smart switches and solar panels.

Leave the electricity for industry, houses should be able to tap in to initiatives not just for insulation to reduce demand for the standing stock, but also wholesale heating and smart technology installation.

Youā€™d be surprised how many old properties in their epcā€™s state they need a 40 quid hot water tank insulation that would save 150 quid a year in bills. There are literally thousands

But thatā€™s only just over 3GW and when that starts we lose 50% of our other plants as their lifetimes up, so we have a long road a head.

On other news Lebanon zero power for at least 3 days, plants ran out of fuel wheyyyy

Good news that weā€™re more or less back to normal.

As far as fuel goes I suspect people will be keeping their cars more than half full as and when the opportunity arises, which should in and of itself provide us with a form of buffer against a repeat of what we saw a week or two back.

Thereā€™s undeniably an issue with the wider supply chain though. Not just fuel but across the board, my basis for that is that no Government admits to a problem that doesnā€™t exist. But itā€™s a situation where ā€œsupply and demandā€ is actually an unhelpful phrase. In one sense demand unquestionably outstrips supply, in another supply is unquestionably keeping pace. And the problem is that on the one hand this distinction does matter, but at the same time to go any further than that statement is to stray quite firmly into the realm of politics. Frankly the next six months will be what theyā€™ll be - a lot of people will be correctly judging the situation and how it will pan out, but we wonā€™t know who they are until itā€™s too late.

EDIT: that was not intended as a loaded statement where I lean to one side - it could be that we overcompensate for the problem at the expense of other sectors, given that recruitment is a challenge across the board, or it could be that we undercompensate for the problem at the expense of the supply chain being pushed beyond a tipping point. Between the two is a very tight needle to thread.

1 Like

If I were a HGV trained army solider Iā€™d expect to be doing a tour of duty in Iceland ā€¦ Tesco or Sainsburys fairly soon.

Christmas is going to be interesting, if the shelves are being kept filled (with some noticeable gaps from time to time) Christmas will likely stretch the system to breaking point. Turkey dinosaurs and canned carrots for Christmas dinner anyone?

Its only the posh, middle-class areas that have suffered for once, as people with time on their hands panic. The same will be true at Christmas, theyā€™ll buy all the turkeys in October and Waitrose will have shortages but the Christmas eve people will probably be fine. Papers will still call it WW3 though.

Iā€™m not going to debate whether those areas are ā€œposh and middle classā€ as youā€™ve clearly decided that for yourself. All Iā€™ll add is that I wouldnā€™t personally say Stevenage, Clacton, Crawley or Tooting fit that description.

What I will say is that the more expensive areas are by definition the worst areas to live in if you, personally, donā€™t fit that description. Which few shop workers, cleaners, care workers, nurses, bus drivers etc do.

As for turkeys, well if weā€™re not importing them, weā€™re not getting as many migrants to help rear them, and the cost of living is going up, how do we get those turkeys from farm to fork? I agree that thereā€™s a lot of unnecessary panic but itā€™s based on fears that have some justification. As for the ā€œChristmas eve turkey buyersā€ā€¦ when is Christmas Eve ever a safe time to get one?

2 Likes

At this rate weā€™ll be starting a new thread called the ā€˜food crisisā€™.

1 Like

We can just repurpose another one-

ā€œChristmas Wishlist 2021ā€

#67 - @Coolsmp - Iā€™d take food at this point, I donā€™t want to seem ungrateful because weā€™ve still got the family dog to eat but weā€™re quite attached to Spike.

#68 - @Rando - We stock pilled pasta but since the water stop running we have no way of cooking it, I canā€™t take another day of crunching pasta.

#69 - @altcoinking - +1 for crypto, we really need this on FT.

#70 - @Coolsmp - RIP Spike

4 Likes

Good news everyone, weā€™ll all have full tanks soon ā€¦ but the road will be ungritted and so icy you wonā€™t be able to move your car!

1 Like

On that topic - who exactly do councils tend to use to drive gritters? Iā€™ve never given it much thought but I was under the impression that it would be a combination of bin drivers (some councils have enough to cover all pre-whatever-this-is services, would be surprised if many have any surplus to do that and also grit), and temps.

Itā€™s typically road construction crews, roadworks slow in the winter months so there is spare capacity.

Another 2 small energy companies bite the dust

1 Like

Has anyone found a good source of information about the energy cap that actually says what the value of the cap is.

Every ā€œarticleā€ Iā€™ve read says that the cap is Ā£1,370 (actually figure is irrelevant as theyā€™re often very different), but then say this is for an average house and blah blah, itā€™ll be different for everyone because itā€™s actually a cap per kWh. Great, thatā€™s what I want to know, but none of the articles ever seem to say what the actual cap is per kWh.

As such, while I assume I am on a capped SVT, because my fixed tariff ended and both the options I can choose from are higher than the current rate (which is about double what I was on before), but it seems impossible to actually find out. Even the ofgem documents talk about this average price instead of actual numbers: Default tariff cap level: 1 October 2021 to 31 March 2022

Anyone got a link to actually useful information?

2 Likes

Well there is actually one cap which is a surprise to me. Apparently there are 126! Get your calculator out @ralf

2 Likes

UGHā€¦ Iā€™m bringing sarcastic Spongebob out again because Iā€™m so sick of the fake/dysfunctional consumer energy ā€˜marketā€™ in this country. Privatisation has failed.

EDF have said that theyā€™re ā€˜not readyā€™ to take on more customers from the latest firms to collapse - here it is discussed on Reddit - EDF not ready to take on more customers from bust energy firms : unitedkingdom

1 Like

Oooh, finally an article that mentions " On average: 2,900 kWh of electricity and 12,000 kWh of gas per year.", so, at least now I can convert all these numbers into per kWh.

I guess though, Iā€™ll have to wait and see when the actual bill comes to work out if the separate per unit and daily standing charge do exceed the per kWh per unit charge. I suspect they definitely would during summer months when I barely use any gas, but probably not in winter.

3 Likes