GME Short Squeeze and Limit Sell limitations

Like I said, it specifically says ā€œThe order would only execute at or better than the limit price.ā€
That seems pretty unambiguous to me.

The ambiguous bit is that it also states that it is a ā€œmarket orderā€. Completely different thing in terms of how orders are filled.

Yea agree and you should report it via in-app support.

But if you havenā€™t placed a limit order here before then I can assure you it works exactly as intended and itā€™s not specific to UK/US etc.

Iā€™ll ask via the in-app support. Iā€™m just querying the documentation that was posted, as how orders are filled differ depending on whether theyā€™re a market order or a limit order.

I hope youā€™re right that the system will work as expected, although GME is a completely unprecedented and different situation than has ever been experienced. As I mentioned previously, a market order could be filled at a much reduced price, if thereā€™s a massive gap to jump down to.

Alsoā€¦ have you tried the sell feature and put in a Limit Order of 50,000? Give it a go. Thereā€™s a limit.

Never heard about any limit orders on GME :joy:

1 Like

Yes, Iā€™m waiting with bated breath to see the day it hits a trillion dollar valuation.

1 Like

Just for sh*ts and giggles I decided to try out a high figure on the Freetrade app:

@thinking_hydrogen - you may have an issue trying to sell there!

Just drop GMEā€™s CEO a line and suggest they do a share split. :smiley:

1 Like

If that situation ever arises Iā€™d just sell it in batches as I do today with UK shares which is limited to Ā£9,900.

*I donā€™t hold GME sorry if you didnā€™t pick that up but good luck

@ralf A 10 for 1 share split, as well as a dividend would be great! Hedgies would be up the creek!

Personally, I think it would be hilarious to have one share sold at $69,420.69ā€¦ but donā€™t think Iā€™ll be able to screenshot that, due to the limitations.

@thinking_hydrogen - Thatā€™s okay. Might be a problem if you ever tried to buy/sell some Berkshire Hathaway stock: Berkshire Hathaway Inc. (BRK-A) Stock Price, News, Quote & History - Yahoo Finance (Itā€™s only $409,460.00 per share, at the moment).

Iā€™ll take 2!

This looks more affordable: Berkshire Hathaway Inc. (BRK-B) Stock Price, News, Quote & History - Yahoo Finance

1 Like

You might be able to afford the A stock after the MOASS! :rofl: Why settle for anything less?

1 Like

For GME to even hit this $25k that everyone keeps banging on about, thatā€™s over 150x current which would be a market cap of $1.75T, which would be 4% of US total market cap. If one GME share was worth one BRK-A, thatā€™d be 2500x current, which would be $28T or 57% of US total market cap.

Obviously, neither situation can actually possibly happen because the brokers who lent out the shares would go bankrupt well before either point. And I only have 0.2 GME, so I can categorically say it wonā€™t be earning me a BRK-A share!

The most likely scenario I see is that market makers will just have a massive spread (which will be justified if thereā€™s very low volume)/ Probably the shorters will get hurt a lot (maybe bankrupted), but the people holding the shares wonā€™t ever be able to realise the ā€œvalueā€ of those shares because of the massive spread.

1 Like

I have to admit this is an angle I think people overlook. If this was going to be apocalyptic for the HF surely they would be splitting business and separating etc then going chapter whatever it is called. I donā€™t see where these people seriously think the 25k a share money will actually come from.

Edit: That wasnā€™t meant to sound like the GME holders are stupid, I have a very small amount :+1: just that I donā€™t know how well SOME have actually thought about the mathematics involved and how the rich use bankruptcy to avoid debts, just look at a certain president who did this many times and suddenly owned the same place after :man_facepalming:

As I have said many times I reckon some will make a lot but those dreaming of 25k are probably the ones who will be left holding the baby so to speak.

2 Likes

Itā€™s a chain, Gary. Notionally, it starts with a margin call and the liquidation of assets to cover liabilities. Next comes bankruptcy which pushes the liability for your shares onto the next part of the chain. Ultimately, each short is covered eventually by the DTCC at the top of the pyramid. Every short position has to be closed at some point.

1 Like

The problem with this logic, Ralf, is that it assumes everybody sells at the same price. They wouldnā€™t. There would be lots of selling at various stages on the way up and the way down. The Ā£25K that people ā€˜keep banging on aboutā€™ is Freetradeā€™s sell limit. That doesnā€™t just apply to GME, it applies to everything. Remember, too, that a block of 100 shares at the equivalent of Ā£250 ($350ish) would exceed the limit. That makes exiting from a position much more difficult. Imagine for a moment that it did fly and you had hundreds or thousands of shares that you had to sell one at a time. Trust me, there are Freetrade customers whose GME shareholdings are in the 100s or even 1000s.

This is missing the point that your share is only worth something when you come to sell it. If the stock is highly illiquid, youā€™re at the mercy of the market maker. Theyā€™re NOT going to give you a price that would cause themselves to go bankrupt, even if they do charge the short sellers a lot to buy the shares theyā€™ve bought. Remember, it takes a couple of days for the money to settle, so they canā€™t just keep pumping shares through the system beyond their own capital reserves until theyā€™re sure that the short sellers actually are good the the prices offered.

It doesnā€™t. Lots of people in lots of threads believe that GME will get to $25000. That is where the figures in my post come from. Iā€™m saying that wonā€™t happen.

And the market wonā€™t just crash in seconds if there is continued demand for the shares from the short sellers needing to cover their position. If they want to keep buying, the price will stay high. Conversely, if the demand is satisfied and they donā€™t need to buy any more, the sell orders wonā€™t be filled regardless of what the share price is at the time you want to sell.

Lots of people in lots of threads all over the internet believe that GME will go a lot higher than Ā£25000. Our Ā£25,000 issue is the Freetrade limit. I agree that if there is an unwinding, it will take a lot of time. I also agree that the price paid for any share is the point where the buyer and seller agree. However, the big assumption in all of this is that the big payouts will be made not by the hedge funds or the market makers but by the collective insurance represented by the DTCC. Ultimately it has to be forced settlement to make the problem go away. In turn, that depends on the will of very stubborn shareholders to hold until they are offered a price they can agree to. This may or may not happen. Weā€™ll see.

I donā€™t agree with this actually.

This whole problem is only because thereā€™s over 100% of share ownership right now. Butā€¦ Because all these shares are actually held by the brokers, it doesnā€™t really matter if the brokers really have them or not, because everyone is HODLing. So, thereā€™s no real demand thatā€™s really forcing the price to go higher, other than the brokers charging the short-sellers interest on the shares until theyā€™re returned.

As soon as someone wants to sell their share with that broker, thereā€™s no reason the broker canā€™t just buy the share themselves, as long as itā€™s at the fair market rate and then inform the exchange of the transaction, again at the current fair market rate. They know they already have a captive buyer whoā€™ll happily buy the share off them rather than paying the interest, and arguably they probably already have an exit clause pre-arranged for the compensation due in an FTD scenario. So, this doesnā€™t even need to push the price up further, except that doing so would benefit the broker who caused the problem in the first place. But suddenly, this extra share they magicked into existence before has now been magicked out of existence again by the true owner selling it.

If everyone is holding their shares, the demand on the actual shares existing is imaginary. And when people start selling, the illusionary demand on the actual shares also disappears.

The only people that benefit in whatever happens is to the brokers, who also are effectively the ones who are determining the ultimate price of the share by what they agree theyā€™ll accept as compensation instead of a share from the people that borrowed the share from them. Some normal investors might also benefit a bit on the side from that, but really the broker is in control of the market value at all times, and theyā€™ll only allow it to increase to the extent that they can maximise their profit.

2 Likes