GameStop - GME - Share Chat

There was a strong bankruptcy thesis, which caused a lot of shorting of Gamestop. This actually ended up with ~140% of the floating shares being short sold.

This is fine if the company does actually go bankrupt because the shares go to 0, so no one has to worry about buying the shares they sold short.

Given the new console cycle, some aggressive cost cutting moves by management (closing a lot of stores) and a shift towards ecommerce Gamestop doesn’t look like is going to go bankrupt soon.

This is problematic because now if those short sellers want to exit their positions they have to buy shares, but as they do this will put upwards pressure on the price, which in turn may force more shorts to close. If there aren’t enough willing sellers then this can basically create a feedback loop that drives the price up massively.

This is basically what happened when VW briefly became the world’s most valuable company:

The difference with gamestop is the % of shares shorted is much higher (~13% for VW vs ~140% for Gamestop) but that one entity doesn’t control most of the shares (as Porshe did) so it’s basically a matter of when people are willing to sell (which is basically a question of how greedy WSB is).

In general I’m pretty disappointed in the growth in popularity/decline in quality of WSB over the past couple of years, especially 2020, but it’s honestly pretty funny that its relevance has grown beyond RH’s risk management department to actually having a material impact.

3 Likes
3 Likes
WallStreetBets post responding to CNBC coverage ( warning it contains coarse language )

Here is a link to Tweet with the message

:eyes: :rofl:

3 Likes

Hi Han,

Actually at the moment there is no short squeeze. Currently what we’re experiencing is high volatility that results from the “war” that is ongoing. Obviously this is not actually a war and it is not caused by reddit. There is a small scale uprising going on between retail investors and hedge funds etc. There has been several “Gamma” squeezes and these are related to financial derivatives that are not traded in the UK.

GameStop itself is currently reconciling to a new value based upon direction that the new board members are going to implement. There has been no word on this so far, other than a letter from Ryan Cohen who is an activist invester to the board. He holds a stake in the board.

1 Like

The later is not at all obvious to me, please could you elaborate.

1 Like

Lol why is GME on the Plus? It wasn’t on the Plus last week :joy:

4 Likes

meme stocks are the way

19 Likes

It’s not in S&P 500 just yet.

1 Like

I wonder how many Plus subscriptions this is going to drive for FreeTrade :thinking:

10 Likes

Probably a lot, was toying with the idea yesterday and glad I upgraded.

1 Like

Nice sugarcoated version of the events :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy:

1 Like

I just stumbled upon this tweet and this screencap… This guy is a genius :rofl:

https://twitter.com/yungchomsky/status/1354279027947794434?s=20

8 Likes

Related:

5 Likes

Melvin got out of their short position yesterday.

3 Likes

$345 pre mkt. that’s crazy

2 Likes

Is anyone aware of what happened to EB (electronics boutique?). Sadly my old man passed due to corona and I am aware he held some EB shares… wayyy back in 2000. I know that GameStop has some involvement with them… but not sure on the status of the EB shares / Conversion ? that may / may not have taken place ?

1 Like

Look them up if possible.

4 Likes

thanks AdamL - much appreciated.

1 Like

$366 a share. Crazy. My first 1, 2, 3 and 4 bagger…

5 Likes

Are you selling?

1 Like