Gas and Electricity Crisis šŸ”„

I have just realised all these figures are based on 2900 kWh mines 1700 kwh. Not massively different i just donā€™t have mains gas. That looks like the killer?
Do people normally spend more on gas than electric??

Not per kWh but heating using a load more energy to the costs are comparable because of the higher usage.

My gas usage is about 1/3rd less than ofgems average

Mine is bulk lpg. Per liter it has to be 30% cheaper than oil to be the same. As it has 30% less energy. Its very rare for it to be so. Normally lpg is 30% more expensive than oil. At the moment i believe it is considerably cheaper. I dont know for sure but someone told me it can be upto 120p liter for oil. lpg has gone from 39p liter to 50p. So for once we are winning.
Not that it matters to me as my tank is still 55% full on the 39p per liter! I mainly burn wood which i get for free. Only a 2 bed bungalow so the heat drifts into other rooms. Last winter was very mild so just switched it on for an hour or two at night.

Well done

Yeah I know their average but I just put it in as worse case as worse case is best to calculate in then at least you have head way.

Its funny I phoned occutpus today and their 1 year fixed rate which they said they could charge if their are dramatic changes to help is half what SSE is charging for their 1 year fixed so itā€™d a no brainer.

Usally I stick with my supplier but I canā€™t justify Ā£85 a month extra staying with SSE and this was calculating my projected plan rather than the heafty Ā£4000 plan :slight_smile:

Also SSEs predictions for me are:-

Electricity = 2066.68 kWh
Gas = 4176.8 kWh

Sounds cosy but I wouldnā€™t like the lpg, how long does your tank last Usally?

So significantly less that the numbers being used in the media.

1 Like

It should need refilling at least once a year. But I have been about 18 months with out a refill. I still have 55% in the tank. The tank canā€™t be filled above 85%. Very mild winter. Contract prices are based on me using 2000 liters. Contact last 2 years. They donā€™t seem to notice that I donā€™t use any where near that as long as I donā€™t try and negotiate when I renew the contract.
The health and safety tossers keep changing the rules on where the tank can be.
According to one firm there is no where in my garden where the tank is allowed.
So I have to stay with same firm or spend a fortune on changing to oil.

Wow.

Companies face 500% rise in energy bills

2 Likes

It would probably be a good idea to build a brick oven and hob in the garden.

Fuel is still expensive. But no standing charge so you only pay for what you use.

Standing charges are a total con imo

3 Likes

You havenā€™t thought about the price of bricksā€¦

Made using energy without energy caps, so will skyrocket in price ā€¦ That is the issue which is on its way. Price increases across the board, those on or near the poverty line will very much be dragged below it

There was the riots a couple years back, how long before more in multiple locations?

2 Likes

Bricks are still available to buy and being a pleb I still have no issue purchasing them.

But it is not the worse case scenario for you because you are not, from your own numbers, an average user. You probably would get a better estimate by looking at your present spend and multiplying by 1.78 (as the new ā€œup toā€ number).

3 Likes

Energy bills to change every three months to avoid price shocks from every 6 months.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve never understood this. Iā€™ve lived in other countries where itā€™s standard to just bill monthly. Especially with the introduction of smart meters I canā€™t see why that doesnā€™t happen here. It was way better for keeping an eye on usage and spending etc. Get bill, pay bill. Why wait every quarter?

It probably made more sense in the olden days when a person had to come round and physically read the meter.

Itā€™s the price cap thats has been changed it will now be reviewed every 3 months instead of every 6 months.

1 Like

Local family Butcher announced they are closing after decades of trading, along with struggling to compete with the supermarkets they said the cost of having freezers on 24/7 was a major factor. I wonder how many other small businesses will cope.
Also i was in a shop when a lady came in with a key meter you load at the counter she was very distressed as she had put a tenner on and it had disappeared straight away, she presumed she was in debt but now only had a few quid to put more on, she kept apologising to the guy behind the counter for being upset as it was not his fault. Lots of people use these key meters mainly the poorest in society, what on earth is going to happen to them? Things are going to be very bleak in many ways.

3 Likes

Super market meat is the worst. People just donā€™t know what theyā€™re buying, and to be fair itā€™s the same with veg

Unfortunately I donā€™t think anyone is putting out enough information on the options available.

The media are the worst for it. All the shouting about price hikes and zero info on how to manage it.

Do people know there are hardship funds? Or they their companies may have funds. Do they know to check what theyā€™re entitled to from the government. Or what they can do to be more efficient with energy?

2 Likes