[Feature Request 🔧] Gifting shares 🎁

This would be a great idea.
I think that some sort of physical gift card could be offered with the a code on it to redeem the free shares (Freetrade could charge an extra small fee for the card as well and make it a source of revenue).

3 Likes

Can we call them stock-ing fillers?

11 Likes

2 Likes

Totally agree, being able to gift shares to people would be a great idea! Also would be good to allow someone who doesn’t have FT (like someones parents, grandparents etc) to work with FT to gift a share(s) to someone who who does have an account, much in the same way they would go and buy a voucher to give to someone.

It would make the process less daunting to those who maybe don’t want to go through the whole hassle of opening up an account in FT, putting money in and buying shares, only to then gift them away and then maybe never use FT again.

2 Likes

So something like you pick a share, purchase it, then enter the email of the person you are gifting it to. Then they get a message and can accept and complete the KYC/AML stuff.

It could be a good way to get people not interested, interested. Although I can also see it being a regulatory headache.

Thoughts?

11 Likes

Oooo interesting idea!

4 Likes

Like it, would love to gift my nieces and nephews Investments on birthdays and things, which would make me the most boring uncle right now but potentially the best when they are older!

Gifting to children would add to the regulatory headache, but start ‘em young!

5 Likes

The idea come from a IOU for shares someone gifted. Alternative would be share certificates but that is too much hassle.

1 Like

Love this idea if it could somehow get round the regulatory hurdles, but I think if you kept the shares in the givers account till there was somewhere to put them, that could work.

Perhaps the share(s) could remain in your account, reserved, until such time as the giftee decides to create a freetrade account - at that moment they’d be transferred over to the new user…

Would benefit freetrade with new users, and people who are not familiar with investing and receive some shares as a gift.

5 Likes

@rob_h would be the best to advise whether this is regulatory and physically possible.

Do we have elfs in stock that could handle share transfers? :grin:

1 Like

Christmas elf’s bearing gifts! :christmas_tree: :man_elf: :woman_elf: :gift:

2 Likes

AML and KYC problematic. @freetrade_cal potentially best place to advise. From my point of view - like the sentiment, but no. Possible via a certificated withdrawal but that costs so much behind the scenes I hope none of you (shareholders in Freetrade) make such demands as its wildly inefficient. If (and only if) the receipient was already a Freetrade account holder then maybe, just maybe. Although still a pain in the perverbial.

4 Likes

I love this idea.

At a later point, we’ll investigate if there is a clever way to solve this, something that deals with or bypasses the complications described by @rob_h.

8 Likes

Don’t misunderstand , I love the sentiment. But ouch! We need a major brainstorm as we’re gonna hit legal obstacles in certain circumstances. If everyone is happy for this to carry a ‘low priority’ tag then happy days. Keep the ideas coming.

5 Likes

On Wednesday night? I am impressed!

2 Likes

Thanks and yep, I definitely suggested this as a low priority feature.

1 Like

Read recently that Stockpile and Gift of College are two companies that pioneered gift cards for fractional securities in the United States.

Not investigated, lazy news.

1 Like

I will be googling it from 8am tomorrow. Since your profile pic involves you on a beach and drinking I am inclined to think you knows what yous is talkin’ about. Seriously. Not sarcastic. I like your style. You look like me … with more hair

3 Likes

This might crush you, but:

1. The drink is Southern Comfort
  2. I don’t know that guy

It’s all aspirational, investment goals you might say.

3 Likes

This is something I made a few years ago as a present with shares Inside.http://firecove2.dscloud.me:5500/mo/sharing/nW1lzujTw

2 Likes