Has anyone else's portfolio stagnated

I do take some risks, I backed Freetrade before they even had an app :smile:

But I like to balance that with a diverse range of estabilished large caps

But its doesnā€™t have to be as black and white as that, either risk adverse or a risk taker. You can have a fair amount of solid investments with a % allocation for the type of stock thatā€™s flying at the moment. Thatā€™s my approach anyway.

1 Like

No itā€™s not - both figures are there - 19 years of the FTSE100 with and without dividends reinvested.

1 Like

It does annoy me when they donā€™t include inflation, as that nearly wipes out a lot of returns

Better than a bank yep. But absolutely not worth my time with whatā€™s on offer elsewhere :wink:

1 Like

Those figure assume you went all in at was pretty much the all time high though, youā€™d have got much better returns with an averaging strategy or even by just not being the unluckiest investor in the world

Yes feeling the same way not sure what with the markets

Mine has actual moved up today

Hereā€™s mine this month

2 Likes

Interestingly mines at an all time high, albeit not all time high gains but Iā€™ve reshuffled my portfolio a little throughout the lockdown.

1 Like

should have invested in the Shopify one :wink:

1 Like

Sadly you find that people are buying these tech stocks with no idea how they are actually valued and 15+ years of experience tells me they will eventually get burned.

I am approaching this issue similar with the first law of thermodynamics (energy will not be lost but transferred to some other form). So If eventually those tech stocks do pullback, the money must go somewhere right? If you keep buying global diversified fund like VEVE and VFEM and global aggregate bond (VAGP), some/most of that money will go towards your other fund. Not sure this thermodynamic principle can be applied to Stock market but yeah, hopefully one can see some kind of resemblance.

1 Like

Interesting analogy, but the stock markets arenā€™t a closed system, so the money is crossing the boundary into cash, stuffing mattresses, paying off mortgages etc. Still, as you say, buying low cost globally diversified funds is probably best for most people. (Not advice, DYOR).

1 Like

but the stock markets arenā€™t a closed system,

I was comparing that with only stock market, but rather the whole global economy, hence the inclusion of Global aggregate bond.
Paying mortgage for example will give the banks profit.

1 Like

Yeah, the global monetary system is a closed system, near enough anyway. Paying off a mortgage likely reduces the banks profits as they earn on the interest and ability to loan out the money. It also cancels out the credit that was generated when the mortgage was created.

I have a similar Investing Skyline graph :smile:

Mine has, only because I had TSLA and I sold it when it hit 1000 dollars. Who knew about the rise even after that. Well Using that money for a house deposit so it did help me and cannot complaint. Leaving that everything else is small and pretty useless.

1 Like

Mine has settled down somewhat but as a budding long term investor iā€™ve found i like it that way! I cant be dealing with wild fluctuations in the market constantly. - however, Nio and Boohoo have been spicing things up of late.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.