How do I get exposure to

There are a lot of very experienced investors in here and I thought it would be good to have a place where us less experienced investors could come along and ask how we might get exposure to certain markets, stocks, private companies, sectors etc. Let me start:

My thesis is that HS2 may be canned and, at the very least, there will be a lot of big infrastructure projects over the next 5 years. As a result I’d like to get exposure to the companies that do this sort of work. i.e. building railways, roads, bridges. What is the best way to get this exposure?

1 Like

Well, you got Balfour Beattie and Kier stocks on FreeTrade, they’re typically companies involved in large infrastructure projects.

2 Likes

My other thesis is that battery manufacturers are destined to get massive. I heard a great podcast on the future of batteries and I’m keen to get a piece of the action. I’m aware of a couple of venture backed companies that are looking to transform the industry but clearly not able to get close to those. Any suggestions on companies, ETFs, products etc that cover this area (or alternatively have exposure to, for example, cobalt). Thanks

1 Like

Some infrastructure investments available on :freetrade: for consideration (and more research):

• 3i Infrastructure plc (3IN)
  • HICL Infrastructure plc (HICL)
  • GCP Infrastructure Investments Ltd (GCP)
  • Sequoia Economic Infrastructure Income Fund Ltd (SEQI)
  • Jlen Environmental Assets Group (JLEN)

There might be others I’m missing.

2 Likes

Bushveld Minerals is a good shout. They’ll likely be providing the Vanadium needed to strengthen the steel on the lines.

1 Like

HS2 given the go ahead, Balfour Beatty and Kier given massive contracts out of it.

Balfour Beatty have been on my watchlist and it’s one I’ll be adding to the portfolio for the solid dividend in the next week or so, think the payout ratio is only around 30% :ok_hand:t3:

2 Likes