How much to expect from £100 investment

We’re not exactly sure at the moment! But I think the buy price has been set at 5.5p per share.

The likelihood is each share will return that amount into your account (and then disappear from the portfolio.)

Ah right ok, I will keep an eye on it over the next couple days

Before buying a stock with more money than you did now, you should do some dedicated research or stick to investing in ETFs (which are lower risk). Sirius Minerals for example has been a cash-grave for many investors. It doesn’t even have revenue.

2 Likes

Be aware that Sirius was once a 40p+ share, should the share holders reject the takeover bid the price could fall back to its old 2-3p levels.

A lot of people invested money in Sirius, it was meant to be a business beacon of the North, a real growth chapter - some people have lost their pensions on this.

1 Like

Christ would be horrible to lose your pension on that. I’m hoping it will make me a little bit of profit, as I say I will see how it goes and keep an eye on it and get a better understanding

I suggest you Nasdaq 100. To be honest.

1 Like

SebReitz mentioned investing in ETFs up above, which is something you might want to look at as well.

Rather than trying to back a single horse, an ETF will let you back the entire field. So instead of buying APPLE, you might choose to invest in an ETF that covers the entire electronics sector.

Rather than trying to find the one company on the FTSE100 that will explode, you can buy an ETF that covers the FTSE100 as a whole.

Yes, the returns will generally be lower than if you successfully invested in a single stock, but the risks are a whole lot lower too!

To be more complete. If you only have 100£ it is better to save them in a good ETF. If you want to test Freetrade with 100£ it is better to try a good bullish stock, because ETFs would be too boring :slight_smile:

That is honestly such a short period of time to make a judgement on.

I don’t know how the day traders manage to make a profit, to me, they’d have to take high risk approaches for it to pay off.

I think for anyone investing in stocks/shares, you have to be willing to leave that investment untouched, personally, I see this as:

A) A retirement fund, keep putting small trickles of money away until I retire + reinvest (compound interest) OR
B) In extreme case scenario where I need to withdraw the money sooner, do so but hold investments for as long as possible and only withdraw in extreme / crisis situations.

I think having that attitude allows you to emotionally detach from a 10% drop, hell, even if another recession and market crash happens (which I think it will) I still wont be worried because I know the market always regains. It’s just further buying opportunities.

If you’re in this for the short term, say a year or so, I just can’t see people making a good return without:

A) Investing a hell of a lot of money to begin with or
B) Buying very high risk shares/stocks

If you’re in this for the long haul, I think it really minimises the risk of things ending badly.

2 Likes

Completely agreeing with you regarding investing for the long-term and the importance of emotional detachment when the portfolio or individual investment are in loss.

Maybe you saw my answer out of context?

The original question was: how much (profit) can I expect from £100 invested?

I have answered that expectation should be tied to: capital invested, time you hold the investment (long or short term?)and strategy behind.

When asked about suggestions of which stock to buy I simply explained my investment journey and said that I am still a newbie, thus not able to give advice. But since I have learnt a couple of thing from July I felt to share, so that other brand new investors do not make the same mistake as I did.

Also, I am completely aware that few months are a very short period of time and not a reliable indicator of future performance. I made very clear that despite I made little profit in these few months I could be down the next. So, I expect downturn and not worry much if there will be some loss because I am comfortable with my strategy.

I think that with a strategy behind you will make better choices than if you would have just pick stock randomly.