How to send a direct message (DM)? [RESOLVED ✅]

I think it’s fair to make 2 points about your flagged comment:

1. As far as I can understand it, it has been harder to address customers queries due to increasing demand, which you point as unfortunate. This part of your comment can be accepted as factual.

2. The second part of your comment, however, can’t be accepted as factual, for a reply from an appropriate member of staff to the OP around one hour before you posted was produced. Just scroll up a couple of posts to fact check.

I feel you posted immediately after reading the first post in the thread and missed, without any fault or reason for blame, at that precise moment, the post where a member of staff addresses and takes ownership of the situation. Quite likely you became aware of the staff response after your post. I believe your post was flagged as a direct consequence of the second part of your post.

Makes sense?!

2 Likes

I’m not sure flagging the post in this situation makes sense. The rest of the discussion took place and mateinfour said he might have been a bit harsh.

I’m just voluntarily offering a possible explanation for why the post was flagged.

My first reaction was in line with those who think there was no reason for flagging. Then, out of nowhere, with the sentence separated in two, a speculative hypothesis emerges as to why it could have happened.

If we do make a division of the sentence, then the conjecture I offer makes sense, but may not be accurate. Only the person who flagged it would know the reason why

1 Like

I agree with your perspective too :wink:

1 Like

Agreed. It looks like they don’t want my business therefore will sell my holdings at the appropriate time and join another platform.

It’s not Freetrade who flagged it. It was another user…

6 Likes

Freetrade approved it. Was about to join plus now that’s out of my plan’s

If Freetrade had taken or approved the action your post wouldn’t just be hidden, it would be removed completely.

Flagging is done by other community members and if it is flagged the post is hidden automatically with the option to reveal it until a member of staff can review it. When/if they get around to reviewing it they will either delete the post or remove the flag.

More details under the ‘Inappropriate content’ section here:

1 Like

I have looked online at how to send direct messages on the Freetrade community and all of the information that I have found indicates that my account has this feature disabled. Are there specific things that I need to do before this gets enabled or is this a bug on my account?

I don’t know if Freetrade have used the default discourse settings or amended them. By default:

Trust Level 1 – Basic

At Discourse, we believe reading is the most fundamental and healthy action in any community. If a new user is willing to spend a little time reading, they will quickly be promoted to the first trust level.

Get to trust level 1 by…

• Entering at least 5 topics
  • Reading at least 30 posts
  • Spend a total of 10 minutes reading posts

Users at trust level 1 can…

• Use all core Discourse functions; all new user restrictions are removed
  • Send PMs
  • Upload images and attachments if enabled
  • Edit wiki posts
  • Flag posts
  • Mute other users
2 Likes

I see you are already have Trust level 1. So you should be able to DM.

Please make sure you have enabled receiving in your settings which via the web interface is Preferences>>Notifications>>Messages

Screenshot 2022-08-06 at 21.26.36

You won’t be able to DM someone who has not allowed anyone to send them direct messages.

Please see if you can DM @NeilB. If not there is an issue with your account that I need to flag.

1 Like

This now appears to be working. Thank you for looking into this :+1:

1 Like