IMPORTANT: Why we had to limit the US market on 29th January (not our choice and we engineered a solution)

Please can you be open and transparent about who the name of the provider is. If you are unable to do this then I will consider moving to another platform.

2 Likes

Imagine this from the likes of Robinhood etc. No, me either.

10 Likes

Frustrating for sure, good luck getting it fixed. Just call out the provider, transparency is key right now. People will jump on anything that isn’t transparent.

1 Like

Maybe let them work through the issue with the provider first, and source an alternative if it doesn’t work out.

Otherwise it could be longer than just today we can’t trade currencies.

1 Like

Sorry, I am on Freetrade’s side here, but I have to correct you. Being responsible for a paid-only subscription service with a comparable number of users to FT, we have “hot” alternatives for every detail of our payment processing ready to go should there be a fault.

2 Likes

Tony, your and everyone else’s desire for this information is likely overridden by a contractural obligation for confidentially between Freetrade and its bank.

So many threats and so much haste. Everyone needs to take 10 and wrap their heads in a cold wet lavender scented towel before they return to their keyboards.

26 Likes

Just out of interest (I don’t have orders queued and I only have a few AMC shares which I intend to hold anyway): why can’t queued orders be cancelled? Not sure how many people put an order in and then saw their money locked. If an order gets queued until Monday, then I would prefer to cancel (lots can happen until Monday making it not worth to buy that stock) and buy UK stocks.

2 Likes

This scenario has been building throughout this week (and has been a potential situation much longer term if anyone was paying attention) - at the very least one should proactively check with your FX provider that there are no planned changes. If they then renege, then that’s bad faith but at least you checked rather than assuming everything would be okay.

We can appreciate FT’s response to this situation, whilst also criticising this critical failure.

1 Like

Obviously I’m not happy but I will stick by Freetrade who I see as an honest broker that is in this business for the right reasons.

Future priorities should be reducing single point of failure scenarios but that is for down the line.

15 Likes

I was able to cancel mine after I saw the news, App might just be struggling at the moment.

1 Like

I too want my queued orders to be cancelled. The delay between placing them this morning and Monday could make a fair bit of difference as to where I want my money to be

Even the short sellers hadn’t planned for an event like this. It’s unprecedented. I’m willing to cut Freetrade a lot of slack for this.

I’m judging them instead on how they’re handling it both right now and in the coming days. The pledge to do right by new Plus members is a really encouraging sign.

30 Likes

Agreed. I’d also rather just pull out completely.

Freetrades main source of revenue is FX fees. They are just as pissed off as us.

16 Likes

Ohhh this will not finish on a good note, as people are angry and everything it’s very visible on what’s going on here

US Banks are involved here, this is why we have restriction everywhere, in other case all financial system will be crushed!

Really sad of this news, lot of people was ready to invest today in GME!

2 Likes

Swift and honest. Classic Viktor.

7 Likes

We understand, it was out of your control.

We (I) hope that as a result - something that you can control - is you will be changing FX providers in the future.

They have manipulated the market by blocking thousands of UK investors from buying shares, you should not stand for this.

2 Likes

@Viktor Has the FX provider indicated whether this 18x reduction in trade volume is temporary or permanent? If it’s permanent, can you let us know how long you’d reasonably expect interruption beyond today…

3 Likes

Agreed. We are looking at something completely unprecedented. There will be a bloodbath after all of this but FT’s hands I believe are completely clean

7 Likes

Well done for being as transparent as possible Freetrade.

There was no way to plan for this event and I hope new users will appreciate that.

Aim your frustrations at the corrupt banking system in the UK & US!

4 Likes